Masters Degree in Video game design

Started by
13 comments, last by Luchezar Zanev 7 years, 8 months ago

The Idea guy sounds good ...

I would make sure you understand the term correctly before using it around here...

"The idea guy" is kind of a snotty term used by some game developers for people who do not seem to do any kind of work, but are trying to make others do the work for them. Think of the guy who has this awesome idea for a new game, and tries to assemble a team that should make his vision a reality. When asked by potential team members on what his role on the team is, or what he can do, he answers "I have the ideas"... which for most expierienced game developers is an instant no-go.

It means the guy will do nothing but command you around to do his bidding. Most probably while being overprotective of his "awesome idea".

Now, Frob tried to say that Game Designers are NOT just "The idea guy"... they are expected to do way more than just have a vision and make others realize this vision.

You should feel quite comfortable with Excel, and should be good at math because these are some of the most used tools of Game Developers. They are, after all, also responsible for crafting and perfecting the rules of the game, balancing them, and working with the gamelogic programmers to have them properly implemented.

And then often Game designers are also responsible for additional tasks like project management and stuff like that like Frob has laid out.

I guess if you want a job at the helm of producing a game without having to get "your hands dirty with game development stuff", you could look at the producer role, which is to my knowledge more of a project lead / management position that is used in larger game development projects.

Don't know, but I guess trying to get into a Producer role might be just as hard as getting into a Game Designer role, as there aren't that many of those positions compared to programmers or artists.

Advertisement
If you are interested in the game dev industry in general, I would really recommend looking at what entry level roles entail. There really aren't too many director/producer type roles available as entry level roles afaik.

Do some research, look at some job postings, see what you like. Most entry level roles will require at least some programming knowledge, or 3D art knowledge. But that research will give you a more specific idea of what it is that appeals to you so that we can advise you better.

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

When I said that the idea guy sounds good I was just joking. Sorry for not making it clear. My thought was actually the guy who conceives the idea, clears it and starts working on it. The guy who builds the concept. Do not get me wrong. I am fully aware that there is no such entry level position. However, I am also pretty sure that there something like it. I do agree that if people have to listen to me I must have some degree of experience and some projects behind my back. My question was more like from where to start in order to transition to something like that because I do not have art nor programming background.

My question was more like from where to start in order to transition to something like [idea guy]

With any job. Just get into the game industry.
http://sloperama.com/advice/m85.htm
And the other FAQs

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Thank you. Your advices are important to me. I think that would be something that I would really enjoy doing. I have been into games, book and creative writing since I can remember myself. I've created games (not video games though) for my friends. I wrote whole stories. I can imagine whole worlds in my heads with different characters with their personality and physics. When I was in middle school I used to draw and my paintings were given to ambassadors. Another thing to mention is that I used to create artificial languages with my own alphabet and syntax. Though I disliked maths at one point it was because of my teacher. Now I do not think there can be something that can stop me in learning whatever I put my gun at.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement