SGScript 1.4.0 has been released!

Started by
3 comments, last by snake5 7 years, 7 months ago

Hi, I'm the developer of SGScript and I just wanted to let you know that I've been working on the project all this time, and there have been lots of improvements since my previous post.

Today I have released SGScript 1.4.0. Some highlights from the Change Log since 0.9.5:

• added class syntax
  • added 'defer' keyword (moves statement to end of block, 2+ statements are executed in opposite order)
  • SGSON serialization (JSON-like, with function syntax)
  • added coroutines, thread syntax and API (thread, subthread, sync, race, end_on)
  • added map literal (map{ [5] = true })
  • symbol (named persistent variable) & coroutine serialization
  • null-coalescing operators (??, ??=)
  • single header implementation

Some useful links:

--------------------------------

Now that that's out of the way, I have a question:

Seeing as many people these days don't make their own engines, is there any popular small to medium-sized open-source engine that you use for which you'd like to use a scripting language like this one?

Advertisement

Is this supposed to be something like Python or LUA? If so, it says on your page that whenever you use it you have to give credit to SGScript. That seems kind of odd considering this is supposed to be a modern language. It also says it's free as a feature, which is kinda off putting. I don't know, just my opinion. Nice job anyway.

Is this supposed to be something like Python or LUA?

Yes, that's pretty much what it is, something between the two. More built-in features than Lua, faster than the default Python implementation.

If so, it says on your page that whenever you use it you have to give credit to SGScript. That seems kind of odd considering this is supposed to be a modern language.

Those are just the terms of the MIT license. Lua uses the same exact license, by the way. :)

It also says it's free as a feature, which is kinda off putting.

That's interesting, I did not realize this could be off-putting to some. The reason I included it is that there are non-free scripting engines (e.g. SkookumScript) and it seemed like an important thing to mention. Besides, it's nothing original - the About page of the Lua website features a similar section at the bottom.

Anyway, thanks for your input, I'll try to think of a way to improve the text on the website.

Oh wow, I never knew that :wacko:. I'd say it would be a good idea to keep the "It's free" thing but put it at the bottom of the page, like LUA. But the rest is fine then, guess I should've done more research :)

In under 3 weeks, SGScript bindings for .NET 2.0+ were finished and now it's time to release v1.0.
Only Windows is currently tested and supported (both standalone and running under Unity) but I'll be looking into options to support Linux and macOS as well.
The API is made to look similar to the C API where possible which I hope makes up for the missing documentation.
The binaries for SGS.NET are included in the Windows version of 1.4.1 binaries.
Probably currently the biggest missing thing is not being able to bind arbitrary objects to the engine, only IObject-based ones, the next version will offer more binding options. I'm also not entirely sure how the native library linkage works within other engines/platforms so that's probably another thing to work on in the upcoming version.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement