I can't buy Digital Homicide Studios games from Steam anymore...

Started by
12 comments, last by Gian-Reto 7 years, 7 months ago

After seeing some great reviews by Jim Sterling, I was really looking forward to buying some of Digital Homicide Studios' games on Steam today --but they were gone!

Advertisement
Digital Suicide has launched a lawsuit against steam customers who wrote bad reviews about their terrible games... Which Valve thinks is not the kind of business practice they want to work with, so they've cancelled the publishing contract between them. Valve is no longer their publisher so can/will no longer sell their games.

I cannot help but feel the OP is a troll post. If your argument is that you base your video game purchases on the negative recommendations by Jim Sterling, then by all means you can always buy direct from their shopfront. If however your post is simply a backdoor way of illustrating the current woes of Digital Homicide, I probably would have preferred a post that went into the arguments in a logical and well thought out manner. There is definitely meat on the bone when it comes to the issues that arise in the various claims and counterclaims amongst the various parties (Jim Sterling, Digital Homicide and Valve recent steps) that could account for some interesting conversations.

http://kotaku.com/angered-game-developer-sues-game-critic-jim-sterling-fo-1765484317

http://www.polygon.com/2016/9/17/12951756/digital-homicide-lawsuit-jim-sterling-steam-users-valve

http://www.digitalhomicide.ninja/

while Digital Suicide are handling their customers very badly it seams its become common place to rip to shreds indie studios without giving any credit at all.

Remember Mount & Blade 1? That started out as a total mess and i'm sure there are many who wouldn't even look twice at it. I could probably make a review of that and rip it to shreds too but it really was a diamond in the rough when you get into it.

I'm not saying that digital suicide has anything like that but its not helpful to give troll-like reviews of game without even knowing how to play it. Instead they could suggest ways to improve the game or find out if any updates are coming out to address the issues.

while Digital Suicide are handling their customers very badly it seams its become common place to rip to shreds indie studios without giving any credit at all.

Remember Mount & Blade 1? That started out as a total mess and i'm sure there are many who wouldn't even look twice at it. I could probably make a review of that and rip it to shreds too but it really was a diamond in the rough when you get into it.

I'm not saying that digital suicide has anything like that but its not helpful to give troll-like reviews of game without even knowing how to play it. Instead they could suggest ways to improve the game or find out if any updates are coming out to address the issues.

I'm not sure I get the dig at Mount & Blade, but maybe that was before I got on board - I think they were at beta .751 or something around there when I bought it, and it's gotten incrementally better since then, but the core of the game, i.e. riding around and shanking people, was all there.

Eric Richards

SlimDX tutorials - http://www.richardssoftware.net/

Twitter - @EricRichards22

Agreed, Mount and Blade was pretty rough around the edges, but showed a lot of potential very early on.

I think comparing Mount and Blade development to anything related to Digital Homicide Studios is 'a tad unfair'. I followed Mount and Blade early on, and they presented a game that was clearly in development with solid progress being made on a fairly regular basis. We could see the progress, follow along, and see a pretty decent roadmap of how it was (and did) improve. They were a team focusing on one core product, and what was presented to the users was a group who were keen on improving and delivering a quality product. Sure, it wasn't a super highly polished product, nor was it bleeding edge technology, but they were doing game play that I personally had never actually encountered before (Even since then, has anyone made a game that had nearly as satisfying cavalry and lance mechanics?).

Digital Homicide seems to be all over the place, their wikipedia entry has around two dozen entries, and nothing I've seen suggests they're all that interested in working with their communities and providing decent reasonably well polished fleshed out games.

Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.

I don't know how accurate it is, but I read that Digital Homicide was flooding the Steam store with trash games (notice the release dates) that they'd reskin multiple times, in the hope of getting sales from unwitting customers, and that Valve actually had a prior problem with them when they submitted ten Steam Greenlight games on the same day.

They seem to be trying to treat Steam the same way many developers (badly) treat the iOS and Android stores by putting as much trash in the store as possible to get consumer eyeballs and hope they click on one of them. i.e. some developers compete by the amount of space they take up in the store, rather than the quality of the games.

One of the things I liked about Steam was how closed-garden ensured-quality it was, but three or so years ago, they decided to shift to being the "app store" of all PC games, pretty much, with the bar of quality much lower. This is good for indies that have unusual games that deserve attention, but bad for indies by having their games drowned amidst shovelware.

its not helpful to give troll-like reviews of game without even knowing how to play it. Instead they could suggest ways to improve the game or find out if any updates are coming out to address the issues.

Sure it's helpful to consumers to let consumers know what games aren't worth the price. No, having game reviewers suggest game design fixes are a bad idea. Game players aren't innately good game designers, as much as they like to believe it (years of game playing does not make one a good designer - that's a popular delusion).

I don't watch too many video reviews, and when I do, it's usually Let's Plays (or speed-run-races! yea man!) rather than the over-the-top criticism-style reviews, but it's obvious most of those hyper-critical reviews are mostly for humor, and consumer-directed.

What would be nice was if people gave follow-up reviews a year later, if the game has seen substantial changes... but there's so many games being released, that follow-up reviews means Game A gets a second review (as a reward for selling consumers trash the first time around?!) making Game B get zero reviews.

Quality games have become more and more a hide n seek like hunting out there on the trasure for better graphics are game design budgets gone slowly to a minimum to work with even in the Indi scene where budgets are even lower than AAA companies could aquire. I is all the same convinience mess arround for except of a few developers and studios. Anyone is fixing on DLCs/In App purchases rather than making a good bug free game or even deliver what they have promised.

So thats my opinion as active developer and passionate gamer for over 20 years

People like digital homicide give indie developers a bad name.

A gamers idea of what an indie game is has been polluted by endless shovelware constantly pushed in their faces in app stores and digital homicide try to cash in on this.

Have you ever been speaking to a gamer who asks "so what do you do", and you say "I write indie games", to which their reply is "oh aren't they those crappy ones that seem half finished" or something of that nature?

I get this often and it turns out their idea of indie games is those shovelware apps often berated by total biscuit etc.

Also, I worry that the culture of making fun of indie games on sites/channels such as Jim sterling discourages a lot of indie devs from being more public about their release.

Just my two pence worth...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement