Seeking advice to turn a big game idea into episodic format

Started by
0 comments, last by Tom Sloper 7 years, 7 months ago

Ive been a game designer for most of my life and ever since I can remember I have wanted to be one. My brother and I have been developing a multimedia idea for a long time now and plan to start developing a game for it as well as draw a graphic novel. However with our current funds and staff we feel that the scope of the project is a bit too large for our current abilities, when it comes to talent, money, and know-how.

So as an Idea I proposed was to somehow break up the project into smaller pieces. Mainly, I thought of making it in an episodic manner. It would be a "normal" game and not point-and-click adventure like TellTale. So my question today is what types of developmental tools would one need to make an episodic game like this? What engines work best with this type of thing? What pitfalls and challenges should I look out for? How can you market the game and its episodes? How does one keep user data throughout the episodes?

I liken what I wish for to be more like Hitman or maybe Xenosaga. If anyone has worked or knows a lot about developing episodic games, I would appreciate the help!

Advertisement
Please ask your questions in the appropriate forums.

What engines work best with this type of thing?

Please ask technology questions in a technology forum, such as the For Beginners forum for example.

What pitfalls and challenges should I look out for?

There are production pitfalls and business pitfalls and design pitfalls and technical pitfalls.
Here in this forum we could discuss production pitfalls, if you narrow down the question for us.

How can you market the game and its episodes?

Please ask Business questions in the Business forum.

How does one keep user data throughout the episodes?

That's probably a technology question.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement