hi, i'm new here

Advertisement

Welcome!

Welcome to the neighbourhood :)
Welcome!

- Jason Astle-Adams

Welcome!
Programmer of HolyPoly games.

Take a look around, Gamedev.net is a great place to learn and find a community. If you're a developer yourself, consider starting a journal, or checking out the many resources this site has to offer. Welcome, and have a fabulous day!

Hi Everyone, I'm also new here!

I've been wanting to be a part of a game dev community for a while now.. I don't know why but I just keep putting it off. Much like half of the things I need to do in my project!

Take a look around, Gamedev.net is a great place to learn and find a community. If you're a developer yourself, consider starting a journal, or checking out the many resources this site has to offer. Welcome, and have a fabulous day!

Thanks for the tip re Journal! What is usually 'common practise' for those? I'm used to writing / hosting devlogs on my own blog, so around here, what exactly constitutes a 'Journal' - are they typically recycled/reposted blog posts? Links to the blog itself (is that allowed?) Or whole new content?

Are there any other tips or advice you could give for becoming a part of this community?

Thanks!

Software Developer / Hobby Game Dev based in Adelaide, Australia. Check me out!

Hi Everyone, I'm also new here!

I've been wanting to be a part of a game dev community for a while now.. I don't know why but I just keep putting it off. Much like half of the things I need to do in my project!

Thanks for the tip re Journal! What is usually 'common practise' for those? I'm used to writing / hosting devlogs on my own blog, so around here, what exactly constitutes a 'Journal' - are they typically recycled/reposted blog posts? Links to the blog itself (is that allowed?) Or whole new content?

Are there any other tips or advice you could give for becoming a part of this community?

Thanks!

Many members post their blog on both GameDev.net and on their personal blog (usually linking to them as well). We encourage the link sharing but believe developers will get their best exposure through GameDev.net. The Dev Journal/blog is also an area we'll be improving in the near future.

Best tip I've heard anyone give: be an active member. Help where you can, learn where you can't.

Admin for GameDev.net.

Best tip I've heard anyone give: be an active member. Help where you can, learn where you can't.

That's great advice, thanks for that!

To be honest, I didn't find it easy to find the Journal feature.. in hindsight, it is easy, I was just expecting a more forum orientated community, though GameDev.Net has users integrated across what looks to be the whole site, from Articles, to Classifieds. I'm used to traditional forums, where everything has a Forum/Subform(Or Category)/Topic/Post type flow.

From what I can see, there is no 'Engine Specific' categories or forums.. no 'Unity' or 'Unreal' etc.

Am I right in assuming that products/engines aren't the focus for the community, it's the processes behind them?

If for example, I had a question about a Unity specific problem I might be having, I would obviously post to the Unity Answers site. I'm aware that I could post to the Unity forums, but is there a place here to do similar things?

Software Developer / Hobby Game Dev based in Adelaide, Australia. Check me out!

If for example, I had a question about a Unity specific problem I might be having, I would obviously post to the Unity Answers site. I'm aware that I could post to the Unity forums, but is there a place here to do similar things?

The focus of the community is the development of games and interactive media, which means all topics - engines, technologies, processes, methods, ideas, announcements, experiences, problems, solutions, whatever - belong here. Unlike other platforms, the only time you're doing something "wrong" is when you discuss something completely unrelated to game development, the games industry, or the tools and technologies.

If the problem is specific to Unity, at the moment the best place is the Middleware forum. If it's another problem, and you're just using Unity then one of the other forums is a better bet.

Next to journals/blogs, forum structure is something else we'll be addressing in the near future. Our current structure dates back to when a "game engine" was a new concept (the original Quake and Unreal engines), and we haven't updated the structure to reflect industry advancements.

Admin for GameDev.net.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement