Question about C++ game development

Started by
6 comments, last by Son_David 7 years, 5 months ago

I have been playing around with C++ for a very long time(I assume). All I ever create with C++ was console applications. During that time, I took a break from C++ and I tried other languages (C#, Html, JavaScript, Python, CSS, Java,Jquery,C). Throughout of those languages, I still feel like C++ is a straightforward language. So far, I learn just enough of the basics to get started. A lot of people tell me to read the books but I'm not a reading guy. I am a visual/tactile learner. After watching Kate videos on C++11 from PluralSight, I started to feel like C++ is much easier than everyone says it is. My passion is to make video games, software, devices, and much more I have a lot of ideas and projects that I want to put to good use. My problem is I don't know how to think like a programmer. I know how I want it but I don't know how to implement it. I want to use what I know to think outside of the box.

What's the catch to getting off of the "Console application" shell? How to be more creative with C++?

Advertisement

What's the catch to getting off of the "Console application" shell? How to be more creative with C++?

Try to make applications (especially games) with SDL2. It's more fun.

http://www.libsdl.org/

Logging in from unsecured wireless, I hope no-one steals my password (October 22, 2016)

If you want to make games, then I would start looking at a graphics framework like SFML and try making simple games like Pong, Space Invaders, etc so you can get your head round game loops and user input.

Steven Yau
[Blog] [Portfolio]

A nice way to move on from the command line to doing 2D drawing are the awesome LazyFoo tutorials.

lazyfoo.net/tutorials/SDL

I have heard from a lot of beginners that these tutorials make C++/SDL the easiest tool to learn when starting out. Even easier than C#/XNA.

And yes, I agree C++ is a straight forward language. It sometimes has a bad name for being complex because it has quite a bit of legacy baggage but if you simply stay away from that old stuff, it is a fine choice even for starting out. Plus it opens up a lot more doors for you in the long run than many other languages in terms of platform support and library support.

http://tinyurl.com/shewonyay - Thanks so much for those who voted on my GF's Competition Cosplay Entry for Cosplayzine. She won! I owe you all beers :)

Mutiny - Open-source C++ Unity re-implementation.
Defile of Eden 2 - FreeBSD and OpenBSD binaries of our latest game.
My vote is for SFML, particularly because it makes very idiomatic use of C++. Go through the SFML tutorials and you'll have most of what you need to make games in C++. It should also be mentioned that you can be enormously creative without ever leaving the confines of the console. For instance, you can write a compiler, a chess engine, or an automated trading system.

My passion is to make video games, software, devices, and much more I have a lot of ideas and projects that I want to put to good use. My problem is I don't know how to think like a programmer. I know how I want it but I don't know how to implement it. I want to use what I know to think outside of the box. What's the catch to getting off of the "Console application" shell? How to be more creative with C++?

As mentioned above you could use SFML

So I will consentrate on the unanswered part

"My problem is I don't know how to think like a programmer. ... how to implement it"

As you are a visual learner, I assume you will do well as a visual developer, so when you visualise a project, an idea or an application ....think of breaking the project down to manageable parts.

After splitting an idea down, think about which part is the core of your project and visualise a simplified version of it. Further more break this simplified version down until it becomes so less scary that you can tackle it head on

From here on you should keep adding to it and you will begin to slowly build towards your ultimate target project

Also you should probably get used to writing things down a lot to keep track of the web of things (if you aren't already), because as the project builds up and things get more complicated you can so easily get lost from your own project

And very importantly -Try to use tools, middleware and game engines when you can

can't help being grumpy...

Just need to let some steam out, so my head doesn't explode...

My vote is for SFML, particularly because it makes very idiomatic use of C++. Go through the SFML tutorials and you'll have most of what you need to make games in C++.

It should also be mentioned that you can be enormously creative without ever leaving the confines of the console. For instance, you can write a compiler, a chess engine, or an automated trading system.

I never thought about writing a compiler. Maybe even my own library would be fun too. That will be very interesting on my resume. Chess engine? Trading system? I'll do some more research with this. Thanks :)

My passion is to make video games, software, devices, and much more I have a lot of ideas and projects that I want to put to good use. My problem is I don't know how to think like a programmer. I know how I want it but I don't know how to implement it. I want to use what I know to think outside of the box. What's the catch to getting off of the "Console application" shell? How to be more creative with C++?

As mentioned above you could use SFML

So I will consentrate on the unanswered part

"My problem is I don't know how to think like a programmer. ... how to implement it"

As you are a visual learner, I assume you will do well as a visual developer, so when you visualise a project, an idea or an application ....think of breaking the project down to manageable parts.

After splitting an idea down, think about which part is the core of your project and visualise a simplified version of it. Further more break this simplified version down until it becomes so less scary that you can tackle it head on

From here on you should keep adding to it and you will begin to slowly build towards your ultimate target project

Also you should probably get used to writing things down a lot to keep track of the web of things (if you aren't already), because as the project builds up and things get more complicated you can so easily get lost from your own project

And very importantly -Try to use tools, middleware and game engines when you can

I write things down every day. I am always thinking about my projects and what can I do to make them the way I want. I will use this advice you gave me. Also, I forgot to mention that for one of my projects(2d game platform), I was using unity3d. It is still in progress because I get overwhelm working on everything from the art, audio, scripting, levels, etc. I choose unity3d because of the 2d game features but I don't like C#. Indeed, it is easier but it's more like Java than C++ to me.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement