Release for Linux without open sourcing ?

Started by
5 comments, last by isbinil 7 years, 5 months ago

Hello

I wanted to know, if i have a game i want to make available on Linux, do i have to make it open source ? Or can i create some sort of linux executable ?

Advertisement

There are many closed-source commercial games (and other software) available on Linux (see, for example, Google Play or Steam). There is nothing special about a Linux-based operating system (including Android) that would require you to make your software open source or would prevent you from creating some sort of executable.

Stephen M. Webb
Professional Free Software Developer

Just keep in mind that if you are linking against 3rd party libraries or use 3rd party source code in your project you will need to check what license they are distributed under and how that license impacts the licensing of your own code. I.e. you cannot just use any old open source library/code out there and assume automatically that you can distribute your program in binary only form without making your source code available under a specific license. Open source code is free as in free speech, not free as in free beer. If you are not using any such open source code/libraries or only use code/libraries distributed under a commercial or a very liberal license you'll be fine.

Additionally check the license of the C++ Standard Library implementation that you're using.

First thing you should do is familiarise yourself with the actual terms of the GNU GPL (I assume this license) because an awful lot of what people assume in discussions of this nature can turn out to be subtly (or not so subtly) different when you go read what the license actually says.

The GPL FAQ is an invaluable resource: https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.en.html

In addition to clarifying what you can and cannot do, the FAQ provides useful insight into the intention of the GPL.

Be aware of cases where exceptions exist. For example, are you aware that the GPL has a System Library Exception? Are you aware of the GCC Runtime Library Exception?

Be aware of any other licenses used by any other components. Sometimes you can link to GPL libraries, sometimes you cannot.

In general this kind of knowledge is your best friend when it comes to dealing with issues of this kind - good luck!

Direct3D has need of instancing, but we do not. We have plenty of glVertexAttrib calls.

Just keep in mind that if you are linking against 3rd party libraries or use 3rd party source code in your project you will need to check what license they are distributed under and how that license impacts the licensing of your own code.

Please be aware that this advice has nothing to do with Linux. It is true for all software on all platforms.

Stephen M. Webb
Professional Free Software Developer

Many thanks to all of you, for some reason i though every app on linux had to come with source code to be compiled (to have a working binary for every distribution (Debian, Ubuntu...))

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement