Anxiety about the future.

Started by
12 comments, last by Tom Sloper 6 years, 10 months ago
I started to get demotivated. I'm thinking about moving on to programming microcontrollers(building my own circuit, programming it etc.). But here anxiety kicks in, I don't like the thing that I change my field of programming too often, I think it may affect my future job in a bad way. Whatcha guys think?

For some reason, you seem to have decided some years ago that programming is your future job. As years go by, you noticed you are drifting away from what you think as being "programming", since other fields seem more interesting.

You may want to ask yourself, why do you consider this form of programming so important?

Isn't it possible you picked the wrong job for your future, 2 years ago?

You have done some programming, and while there is a lot more below the surface that you haven't seen, it's not "it" for you at this time.

Your drifting suggests to me you haven't yet found your sweet spot. Maybe you never will, and that's not bad either in a world where technology moves extremely fast.

We'll still be "programming", but in ways we cannot even imagine right now.

I would suggest to let go of programming as goal for some time. You've seen it, you've done it, you somewhat know what kind of problems it can solve, you can pick it up again when the need arises. Explore other parts of the world. There are several other technical fields that are related to computers (or programming), such as Mechanical Engineering or Electrical Engineering.

Every field is a solid background for work, you "just" have to find what you like best :)

(and if you like a blend of them, that would work too, how do you think you'd build a robot or a VR system, or some high-tech machine like a satellite?)

Have fun exploring!

Advertisement

I wish I were young again, all that time to explore the nooks'n'crannies of programming.

Don't worry about anxiety until you are maybe late 20's kid. 

"Eating bitter, makes one taste sweet"

necro. locking thread.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement