I'm not learning anything in university. Should I drop out?

Started by
125 comments, last by GeneralJist 7 years, 4 months ago

The other thing to consider moving Universities. If you don't think the tutors and/or facilities are up to par, then moving after your second year could be an option? Taking a gap year is another possibility.

Steven Yau
[Blog] [Portfolio]

Advertisement
Taking a gap year is another possibility.

It is. But it requires approval from Head of Department, and I need to have a specific reason, like: caring for an elder person, having an internship, take part in an international exchange program etc. My reason is: Hi Mr [ name ], I want to take a gap year, because I first want to try to find a job without paying another 9k, and then if I can't find a job, I will come back next year so you can take my money.

Here's the thing.

• In reality, you're gonna need that degree if you want to find a programming job of any kind.
  • If you think the material is beneath you, then see if you can test out of those classes to take more challenging ones.
  • You not going to lecture is literally you wasting your own money and time. It might be a bore, but it's stupid not to go.
  • If the class is so easy, then look for projects at school or on the internet to fill in the time.
  • If you're 2 years into a 3 year degree and still not learning anything, then surely you're in a internship of some sort.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Many students fail to consider learning a range of things while in university that can in turn help them a lot more than they realize in life:

Literature focused classes have had some of the best return on investment from my university time, and things I've learned while listening to someone lecture on about Shakespeare and Paradise Lost have had a direct impact on my income.

Improved writing and communication skills have been a huge factor in securing contracts compared to where I expect I would have been without that time in such 'useless' classes that didn't teach me anything 'related to my degree' as many would see it.

Another important impact of the range of arts and non-computer related science classes has general familiarity across a wider range of subjects, which in turn offers social flexibility, and greatly increases the breadth on which I've been able to move around social circles. I actually secured an exceptionally lucrative contract on the side which I can directly trace through coffee with a friend while talking about books.

Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.

But I don't talk about non-computer related classes or classes being beneath me. University has a lot of benefits and I've learned some stuff. (kind of)

But if you just look at it from a commercial point of view, 27k is not worth it. But I've already paid 18k, too late to return.

I'm just venting, because I made a huge mistake. But it's ok. I have to listen to my parents for now because they are paying the bills. Once I find a job, nobody can tell me shit.

I always know most of the stuff, or know how and where to find it when I need it...

Ah, so you're an ass.

The trick is you don't even know what to look up most of the time -- the proverbial unknown unknowns. That's what you get out of a post-secondary education: an appreciation for what you don't know and the stick-to-itness required to make that vast ocean just slightly smaller. If you're really willing to limit yourself to what you know when you're a kid, there are plenty of jobs that don't require an attention span or internal motivation. Jobs with a polyester uniform and free sandwich with every shift. After all, you can always just get by.

Stephen M. Webb
Professional Free Software Developer

Ah, so you're an ass.

Wrong. I wanted to say that I can figure stuff out on my own, I couldn't do it last year, but I can now. And the help and the knowledge I get from uni is not worth the money I pay into it and people aren't motivated enough and all the stuff wasn't the way I imagined it. Not that I know everything. I'm talking about a simple transaction that is not worth it. Some said I need it for the paper, and they are right, others say that this is most secure way of doing things, they are right too. But I was just talking about price and product. And nobody had anything to say on that. This means they implicitly agree with me. You are making conclusions too quickly. I didn't want to sound that way and you would have seen it if you have read all the posts. I'm sorry that it sounded to you like that. I was wondering whether to delete that, because I knew someone would interpret it that way, but I don't care what you think about me. I just listen to all opinions with an open mind, and decide what to take into consideration.

But thanks for speaking your mind. I like that kind of people.

The trick is you don't even know what to look up most of the time -- the proverbial unknown unknowns.

You are probably right here.

I feel your pain. I went to queens university belfast and omg what a waste of time.

The Phd students were witless (didnt understand a basic x/z, y/z star field). They were blown away.

Most of my classes involved using java libraries to achieve trivial results. Any theory was a wash over, we were only expected to memorize lecture material - we didnt have to demonstrate an understand of anything at all. My colleague failed a practical because he rewrote the template code (it was wrong in every way) to be correct but because the examiner copied the code from the template function to his template it didnt compile and he marked it as incorrect.

Professors backed up their work with "its correct because I say so" when answering questions from students.

1 Professor told a student he had to give an impossible essay and fix the results to a bell curve because he made the first assignment too easy to get top marks (because everyone in the class was smarter than the lecturer) and so almost everyone failed it, in the end it was struck from the record and ignored. I didnt hand in this paper because i knew it was bogus from the start.

Any attempt to communicate with your professors was shugged off. I asked my 68k assembly class professor about my atari i had unpacked, for any resources he had. He didn't give a hoot.

Some courses seam to piggy back of the prestige of the university - the quality is so low and they are not accountable at all. False advertising, false promises, cancelled modules, students filling in for professors.

It was a sloppy mess but I only paid £1400 per year when I went and I am still cheesed off.

I spend most of my time learning .net which got me an internship at microsoft which ultimately got me a decent job.

That being said - you should finish your degree. Get top marks and spend the remainder of your time learning and socializing / making connections.

Finish it, you've come this far.

I wanted to say that I can figure stuff out on my own, I couldn't do it last year, but I can now.

I should point out like I feel like you keep saying this ("I can learn stuff on my own") like it somehow sets you apart from your peers in school. It doesn't though; what sets somebody apart would be the inability to do this. In a professional setting the ability to learn things on your own, pick up unfamiliar skills and fill in the gaps is part of the assumed basic skillset (like being able to speak the language)... at least in terms of the programming or game development jobs you may be after.

That you don't need to learn this skill in college yourself is great, and sets you a little ahead of some of your classmates, probably, but it won't be a shining bullet point on your resume. Be wary of that.

But I was just talking about price and product. And nobody had anything to say on that.

I for one would not be silly enough to comment on the cost efficiency of an education program I know nothing about. Not all degree programs in all universities are equivalent, and not knowing anything about the details of your program I wouldn't be prepared to say whether or not it might be "worth it" or a good value for the money, et cetera. I suspect similar reasons are why others have refrained.

That being said - you should finish your degree. Get top marks and spend the remainder of your time learning and socializing / making connections. Finish it, you've come this far.

I hope it doesn't sound bad, but I felt better when I read that you were disappointed too. Glad that I'm not the only one.

And I will finish it, yes. But won't be so proud with my degree.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement