Fix Your Time Step - Need Help

Started by
17 comments, last by Norman Barrows 7 years, 5 months ago

Memo to myself: Never play on a 120hz monitor, or else I'll have to buy one :D (I already have this problem with my 30'' monitor, I just pray it doesn't die before I start working...).

Though I think the easiest solution to this problem is just implementing fixed timestep with interpolation. Interpolation might look like a huge deal, but I feels its really simple. You don't even need to duplicate the games state, you can just add an "Vector3 lastPostion;" have a "CopyState()"-method that is run after the update, and so on... I think unless you are really under hard time-pressure, taking the extra afternoon implementing time-step interpolation in a simple way is totally worth it.

Advertisement

Though I think the easiest solution to this problem is just implementing fixed timestep with interpolation. Interpolation might look like a huge deal, but I feels its really simple. You don't even need to duplicate the games state, you can just add an "Vector3 lastPostion;" have a "CopyState()"-method that is run after the update, and so on... I think unless you are really under hard time-pressure, taking the extra afternoon implementing time-step interpolation in a simple way is totally worth it.

Which is why that's the usual method used. The only negative there is the game is always running one frame behind. Sadly everything in computers is about trade offs. The alternative is to use extrapolation instead of interpolation, but then you get the problem of things clipping into walls and such because the rendering has no idea about the concept of collision. Same problem you get with dead reckoning.

Thank you everyone. I will code a Fixed Time Step with interpolation, and post back my code for review as I'm still new to all of this!

In the article I'm having trouble understanding what I do with Time? Why is it passed into my Update function along with Delta Time? Do I have my variables set up properly?

Some game systems or algorithms benefit from having an absolute elapsed time value from the start of the game/scene/whatever. It's common to pass it along to shaders for some effects, for instance, or to use it for in-game timers.

There are problems with doing it, though, depending on precision. If you ever use an absolute time value, make sure it's a double or an integral value. Floats will begin losing necessary precision for all but the shortest games. https://randomascii.wordpress.com/2012/02/13/dont-store-that-in-a-float/

movies are only 24Hz, and you don't hear people complaining that movies aren't smooth.

I'm here to complain about 24hz movies. Panning and other action looks like total crap at 24hz. 60hz movies are vastly superior viewing experiences. (except for movies filmed at 60hz but using 24hz techniques, like LOTR - some of those kinds of movies require the 24hz blur to hide or mask low-quality props, sets, costumes, or effects).

Most of the reason for buying a 120hz or more monitor today and having a rig to play it is so you can enjoy the better experience it provides.

The advantages of 120hz are a bit more complex than just running faster. One of the big reasons is that _lower_ framerates are smoother.

Remember that with vsync, you're stuck hitting factors of the monitor refresh rates. That is, a 60hz monitor can only smoothly run at 60hz (1x), 30hz (2x), 20hz (3x), 15hz (4x), etc. This is why we often talk about 60fps vs 30fps games. A 30fps game might actually be capable of running at 58fps but with vsync enabled (a requirement for many, esp. on consoles where the vendors literally require it) that 58fps turns into 30fps.

A 120hz monitor gives you more wiggle room, as it can run at 120hz (1x), 60hz (2x), 40hz (3x), 30hz (4x), 24hz (5x), etc. Note that it has another option between 30hz and 60hz, that it contains 24hz, etc. The even nicer 240hz monitors give even more options, including some nice ones like 24hz, 30hz, 40hz, 48hz, 60hz, and 80hz, among others. This is also why 144hz is a popular option, as it gives you smoothness at 24hz, 36hz, 48hz, 72hz, etc. (notably lacking 60hz, though, which is less than ideal for compatibility reasons for all those games that have foolishly hardcoded 60hz refresh rates). Of course, many of the 144hz monitors can run at more traditional refresh rates too, avoiding the compatibility problems, at least for full-screen/exclusive-mode games.

Also keep in mind that there are displays that run at "weird" refresh rates like 50hz, 72hz, etc., though they are uncommon these days. Depending on your target audience, you might need to consider those monitors and their smooth refresh rate factors.

Of course, with GSync/FreeSync, this all suddenly matters a lot less, since you can get smooth VSync behavior out of an arbitrary update rate (depending on the monitor's range - some only go as low as 48hz before turning adaptive sync off!).

The result is that you're far better off buying a (good) adaptive sync monitor than you are in buying a high refresh monitor, though you're best off buying one that has both (a 240hz monitor with adaptive sync down to at least as low as 30hz - such monitors exist, depending on what price, resolution, and other features you're willing to settle for). Of course, you can't assume all your game's players will have such a nicer monitor, so you'd better be developing for and regularly testing against a more traditional 60hz fixed-sync monitor profile. :)

tl;dr: it's all about the fastest refresh rate a monitor can offer smooth updates for a given game's variable FPS, not just the fastest possible refresh of which a monitor is capable.

A game should not lock itself to a visual refresh rate outside of vsync so it is compatible with any monitor, should use interpolation since it could be run at virtually any refresh rate, and should use a fixed timestep for _gameplay_ purposes to achieve deterministic and reliable simulation, with the timestep chosen for the minimum latency the specific game requires. The game _could_ also sample input more frequently than the graphics refresh rate and apply inputs on physics steps, allowing a game with a 180hz timestep to sample input at 5.5ms intervals despite probably only being able to render frames at 30-60hz on a typical gaming machine; there's usually no reason to bother doing that unless you're a twitch-focused game, though.

Sean Middleditch – Game Systems Engineer – Join my team!

Of course, with GSync/FreeSync, this all suddenly matters a lot less, since you can get smooth VSync behavior out of an arbitrary update rate (depending on the monitor's range - some only go as low as 48hz before turning adaptive sync off!).

I'm waiting for the day of feasible 4k/120hz/(g/free)sync monitors. Well I guess I shouldn't say waiting for, they already exist. Rendering at 4k.. that's another story. Unfortunately adaptive sync is either expensive(gsync) or not guaranteed to even be functional(freesync from dishonest companies.)
15Hz being playable is not a fact*, it's extremely subjective.

granted.

30 vs 15 fps is definitely smoother and is somewhat more responsive. But 15 is still fast enough for a real time experience. below 15 - not really. and for a twitch game, 15Hz input and update may be a bit too slow. most games decouple render and don't freak out at multiple updates per render, so 15fps might still be ok for twitch games, with 30Hz for input and update. not that i'd recommend it. <g>.

I too think it would be awesome if all games ran at 60fps or faster. whether that's possible depends on the available hardware, how much the game does, and dev time available for optimization. not everyone is building a trivial game on a high end PC with no real deadlines.

really one should only drop from 60 to 30 or from 30 to something less if the game simply does too much to run at the higher target framerate.

Norm Barrows

Rockland Software Productions

"Building PC games since 1989"

rocklandsoftware.net

PLAY CAVEMAN NOW!

http://rocklandsoftware.net/beta.php

fact is anything 15Hz or above is playable

There's no way I can agree with this. I played games at 30 FPS and I dropped them over that or just played with VSync turned off because of a very horrible input lag.

Sure, for turn based games it's acceptable, but definitely not for action.

I used to play Doom on my 486SX at anywhere between 10 fps and 20 fps. I enjoyed it.

Before that I played games on 8 bit machines where the refresh rate was probably fewer than 10 per second. I enjoyed them too.

It's entirely subjective, and is a function of the type of game, the display technology, and the user expectations.

and the user expectations.

yes, that has a lot to do with it.

Norm Barrows

Rockland Software Productions

"Building PC games since 1989"

rocklandsoftware.net

PLAY CAVEMAN NOW!

http://rocklandsoftware.net/beta.php

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement