Can the IK subsystem be described as a "Mover"?

Started by
10 comments, last by Brain 7 years, 3 months ago

I agree using one thread is most often the right idea because most games arent really cpu bound but data bound or gpu bound. (And threads also increase the complexity a lot) But if you find you really are cpu bound, and your cpu has cores to spare, thread pools is the way to go.

I dont want to start any language wars but I've also noticed a tendency to overuse threads by java developers. I dont know why, but an example is just starting my android studio ide and notice it spawns 70+ threads...

Advertisement

I agree using one thread is most often the right idea because most games arent really cpu bound but data bound or gpu bound. (And threads also increase the complexity a lot) But if you find you really are cpu bound, and your cpu has cores to spare, thread pools is the way to go.

I dont want to start any language wars but I've also noticed a tendency to overuse threads by java developers. I dont know why, but an example is just starting my android studio ide and notice it spawns 70+ threads...

It's not really a language war that makes me say that java encourages overuse of resources.

It's two things, firstly that when I attended university we were told that the java design is such that you just fire and forget resource allocation, and the garbage collector handles it for you. Needless to say this didn't sound smart to me.

Secondly this is borne out by the fact that most java programs seem to use massive amounts of ram and threads, Android apps not withstanding.

I don't want to stray off topic though, perhaps this is a dead discussion best left to rot, or discussed in another thread?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement