Current C and C++ portable Libraries for 2D game programming

Started by
4 comments, last by Kane_ 7 years, 3 months ago
Hello,

I know the topic title is a question largely asked. But I wanted to ask from another way.

For what I usually see as answer (and used myself), the common ones point to the SDL for the C and SFML for the C++, with sometimes Allegro and even OpenGL as second choice.

If I ommit Allegro that I never used, I agree with theses options, they are all really good librairies and do there job really well when correctly used. But my question point more about the others, the less frequent suggestions?

I imagine theses 4 are not the only ones that exist, sure they seem to shine at the top, but do you know, use, or even have created others libraries that do as much but with less visibility?

What are there names? Can you present them to us and explain why you chooses theses ones instead? What are the others (un)knowns possibilities that are available to us that we never or rarely learn about?
Advertisement

Hi,

I used with success cocos2dx, which is a C++ cross platform framework focused on mobile. It contains more features than SDL and allegro, and is easier to use. It's also easier to build for Android and iPhone.
The biggest selling point of cocos2dx is its performance compared to unity3d, but you will have to make a lot of tools to polish the art pipeline.

I used cocos2dx a few years ago and lost track of it, I use unity now because I don't really need to squeeze the last bit of performance out of the new iPhone

If you want to piece together a solution...

For graphics, Ogre3d. It's been around for a long time and has a strong community.

SDL for controller support.

And Box2D for physics.

I once came across this: https://github.com/sphair/ClanLib

I didn't even try it though.

Your question does not state whether you want a full game library or the pieces, like a graphics library.

Game Libraries:

the unreal engine is now free, you can use their drag-n-drop interface or go full c++

the lumberyard engine by amazon is also free, full access to source code(c++)

both of these are 3d engines but have support for 2d, also they can deploy to mobile

atomic game engine, work in progress

Parts:

graphics:

OGRE3d, kind of big, but super powerful

Irrlicht, really small, super easy, but lacks documentation for mobile deployment

sound:

irrKlang , sister project to irrlicht

physics:

bullet2d

all of your examples(directX OpenGl, SDL, etc) are graphics libraries, they only handle drawing things to the screen, it you go with a graphics library, be aware that you will have to implement all of the other parts yourself( collision detection, AI, UI, sound etc)

Thanks everyone! :)

That is already a nice growing list! I admit I asked mostly for the discussion and because I think there is great tools that are shadowed by the most known ones.

Your question does not state whether you want a full game library or the pieces, like a graphics library.

That's true, I was mostly aiming for the pieces in that question, for the distribution it make the things a little more messy (by increasing the number of dll to not forget and join in the package for example), but I think it offer more possibilities in the end.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement