How to create new games using Godot?

Started by
5 comments, last by WoopsASword 7 years, 3 months ago
I want to make a 2D platformer game with tilemap on Godot, but could really use some help. I know nothing about coding, and need someone to tell me how to start off a game and what I can do to make it grow. If you can help, please comment below or Kik me at ryank1359.
Advertisement

What have you done so far? If you're new to the Godot engine, their learning step by step guide seems pretty good. You need to know at least the very basics of how the engine and the scripting language work and make some very basic games before you can try to make a platformer. Once you're done with the learning step by step guide, you might find some interesting tutorials here.

Hi,

You can place sprite i think on the scene but there is no functionality to it so you need to code it.

I should recommend you to start learning how to code.

It's gonna be hard by not knowing what to do without knowing how to code.

Pick a language i recommend choosing a high level programming language like C# for instance. Godot uses C++ that can be difficultfor a beginner.

There is a beginners FAQ on the forum.

https://www.gamedev.net/reference/faq.php/_/for-beginners-r1

Hope this helps and good luck!

HyperV

Pick a language i recommend choosing a high level programming language like C# for instance. Godot uses C++ that can be difficultfor a beginner.

Godot uses its own scripting language that's very close to Python, as far as I know.

Woops my bad :) didn't read that right :)

If I might ask, is there a particular reason you've chosen to use Godot rather than any other options?

As an absolute beginner, you might find it more approachable to use a more mature and more widely used option such as Unity. I'm not saying Godot is a bad option, and if you're willing to put in the effort and stick with it I'm sure you'll be fine, but you'll likely find more tutorials, examples, and other users who are able to help if you choose a more popular option.

Avalander's advice on getting started with Godot looks excellent, if you would prefer to stick with it I would proceed that way. :)

- Jason Astle-Adams

Read the documentation.

I can't state this enough.

USE GOOGLE OR THE DOCUMENTATION BEFORE ASKING. Especially on "How to XXXX".

This is by far the most annoying question newbies ask, even at work. ("How do I use GIT?" "Oh idk, there are literally TONS of guides out there!").

If you have a more meaningful question, please don't be shy to ask.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement