What's your biggest problems/missing features with Unity or Unreal Engine ?

Started by
8 comments, last by nekitusan 7 years, 2 months ago

What's your biggest problems/missing features with Unity or Unreal Engine ?
From engine to editor, UX, code, etc.
Let it all out.

Advertisement

Unity - is not finished product with a lot of bugs and "bad hidden surprises". But still - it is a good program for game development.

"Why do my static classes act funny?" A .NET developer after trying Unity.

Try making a multi-threaded game in unity ... "computer says noo!"

Unity lacks SSS shaders, and you must buy them in the Asset Store. The cinematic editor is not part of the main installer, but another one you must download from Asset Store.

Unreal Engine 4's random crashes. Thank <insert deity here> for backups...

I can't think of a feature that neither Unity or Unreal have, and which I'd consider important. (Unity lacks some nice things that UE4 has, but Unity has a good asset store.)

I think a more interesting question would be whether there are some completely new approaches which could be applied to an integrated game development environment which might make more sense than fighting toe-to-toe with those engines, especially since there are already things like the Godot Engine or Polycode competing on those grounds.

I can't think of a feature that neither Unity or Unreal have, and which I'd consider important. (Unity lacks some nice things that UE4 has, but Unity has a good asset store.)

I think a more interesting question would be whether there are some completely new approaches which could be applied to an integrated game development environment which might make more sense than fighting toe-to-toe with those engines, especially since there are already things like the Godot Engine or Polycode competing on those grounds.

I wonder what made you think the question was asked on that note ( "fighting toe-to-toe" ) ? :)

Looking through your post history, you've talked about developing an engine in the past. This thread seems to suggest you are hoping for ideas that will give you a killer feature for your engine.

Looking through your post history, you've talked about developing an engine in the past. This thread seems to suggest you are hoping for ideas that will give you a killer feature for your engine.

good, good, research first :)

yes, its true, I am working on the engine, but mainly for own use, at least at first. I am aware that the age of many game engines is over, Unity and UE are here to stay and evolve. Their codebase is huge, the amount of features is also staggering and their communities massive.

I am just doing this for fun and keeping my coding skills up to date.

Asking about the current issues and problems gives me a bit of insight into how to shape my engine and tools, though I also know the problems in Unity and UE because my job is to work with those engines daily, but I'm an engine programmer, I'm not a game developer or level designer/artist, so this feedback comes in handy.

Right now I am developing the editor's GUI, its basically the same as Unity's, its in OpenGL, but fully skinnable by user (test dummy app http://gamedev.ro/data/iotd/38634becd396ad66b55303cd9909f97c373.png and http://gamedev.ro/data/iotd/53770fcc4ecc06769a14829c51ea4577e1e.png)

The engine is also in development, as engines are in development for ever :), more details I can give if asked.

So that's pretty much it, I thank everyone for any idea or feedback on those engines.

PS: I have asked this question on Unity and Unreal forums, if you're interested for other people's replies.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement