Any modern Android Studio tutorials?

Started by
1 comment, last by blueshogun96 7 years, 1 month ago

I've been using Eclipse for years on this one particular project to build my Android ports, but due to the fact that it's now the unofficial way (and frankly obsolete way) to develop for Android, I believe it's a good idea to switch to Android Studio. So, I downloaded and installed it on my Macbook (please don't troll) and I have not been able to find any modern tutorials on how to use it and setup the NDK and what not.

To be specific, most tutorials I find are from 2014 and earlier, which teach you to setup the NDK as it was not officially part of IDE. Now it is included with Android Studio, but I can't find a single modern tutorial for Android Studio 2.0+. Or is it that easy to learn/use out of the box? I'll be honest here, I never used gradle, and I don't know exactly what it is (I've been quite busy lately so it's been on my todo list).

Lastly, how easy/hard is it to debug NDK code on Android Studio? On Eclipse, I can't insert breakpoints and expect them to get hit, and debugging doesn't work so it's hard to diagnose problems and crashes. Any ideas? Thanks.

Shogun

Advertisement

I recently noticed this as well. I'm a huge fan of Eclipse, so I'm a little disheartened to see it is now the deprecated option for Android Development. However, as the new Android Studio is just a shell over the IntelliJ IDE you could use their website as a resource since they have video walk-through's on how to navigate around the base IDE (Not any add on shells): https://www.jetbrains.com/idea/documentation

In regards to Android Studio, I did find a tutorial that gives a short cursory overview of the shell. http://www.javaworld.com/article/3104622/android/android-studio-for-beginners-part-3-build-and-run-the-app.html it's from 2016

To be honest though, I'll largely echo your sentiment. I recently started a dummy project for android within Android Studio, and it doesn't seem leaps, and bounds different than what the eclipse IDE w/ plugin provided. Granted this is from a user interface perspective. I didn't dig real deep into messing with the build system, or utilizing power-user features.

Marcus

Well, I managed to get a basic NDK sample running today, and it appears that Google has made running NDK based C++ code much easier now. It's much more user friendly and I can get stuff done a bit quicker, plus the debugger works! I don't hate Eclipse, but lately it's more trouble than it's worth for Android dev. Android is already a pain to dev for, so I don't want to make it any worse than what it already is. Thanks though.

Shogun.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement