Beginning into 2d morpg development

Started by
5 comments, last by Jobrd 7 years, 1 month ago

Hello, I'm in the second year of Computer Science, I learned C in my first year and now I'm getting into Java. I know that I don't know much, but I want to start a project for a 2d morpg that runs in the web so I can learn as much as I can while applying everything. I don't care that it will take me a long time to learn how to make it, but could someone help me get started? Thanks!

Advertisement

The best thing to do with that type of goal is to identify and fix the obvious skill gaps. Once you have all the knowledge you need, implement it and see where the knowledge holes really are.

You want a game that runs on the web. By that do you mean running on HTML on a web page? Then you're going to need to learn HTML, CSS, and JavaScript for the browser programming. If you're doing the server side you'll need to pick a language to handle the server, you mention you're learning Java, and it has a lot of that support out of the box. You'll need to store your data somewhere, so some database skills are needed.

If you've already got all the sets of skills, figure out how to build whatever part you can. If you don't have all the skills, consider how you can gain them.

If you don't know where your skill gaps are, reduce the problem a little until you have something you are able to implement. If you can't do it multiplayer, can you do it single player? If so, build the single player first so you can gain the knowledge. Think you can build the client but aren't sure about the server? Then start building a client, and cobble together the simplest server you possibly can, improve it later as you need to.

The best thing to do with that type of goal is to identify and fix the obvious skill gaps. Once you have all the knowledge you need, implement it and see where the knowledge holes really are.

You want a game that runs on the web. By that do you mean running on HTML on a web page? Then you're going to need to learn HTML, CSS, and JavaScript for the browser programming. If you're doing the server side you'll need to pick a language to handle the server, you mention you're learning Java, and it has a lot of that support out of the box. You'll need to store your data somewhere, so some database skills are needed.

If you've already got all the sets of skills, figure out how to build whatever part you can. If you don't have all the skills, consider how you can gain them.

If you don't know where your skill gaps are, reduce the problem a little until you have something you are able to implement. If you can't do it multiplayer, can you do it single player? If so, build the single player first so you can gain the knowledge. Think you can build the client but aren't sure about the server? Then start building a client, and cobble together the simplest server you possibly can, improve it later as you need to.

Thanks for the help. I can make the game in a single player mode with JAVA, but I'm struggling to find tutorials/resources that would help me learn how to run the game in the web. Looks like applets are outdated and I need to use jnlp. Oh and yes, I lack database skills too.

Trying to use Java on the web is pretty much dead in the water these days. Most people don't install Java any more, and those that do, often disable it in their browsers. As Frob said, the basic route is to use HTML/CSS/JavaScript on the browser side for the client program. There are other ways to run a game in the browser - for example, using Unreal or Unity to create the HTML/CSS/Javascript for you - and there are ways to use Java for your game, just not via the browser.

What is most important to you - using Java, or running in the browser?

I too would suggest javascript running on html5. You should take a look at SmartFoxServer. It's a pretty nifty place to start for the server piece, and you can integrate it with html5.

For your front-end, maybe look at phaser It has all the tools you need to perform typical 2d type game programming.

Either way, good luck, and have fun!

My Gamedev Journal: 2D Game Making, the Easy Way

---(Old Blog, still has good info): 2dGameMaking
-----
"No one ever posts on that message board; it's too crowded." - Yoga Berra (sorta)

If you want to use Java on the web, you should take a look at libGdx.

Okay, I'm already giving a look into some HTML5/Node.js tutorials.

Thanks for the info guys, now I have a start point to begin studying.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement