Getting a bachelors online in Game Development

Started by
4 comments, last by Brad_HP 6 years, 10 months ago

I'm currently attempting to transfer into an online Game Development bachelors program. I was wondering if the community could suggest potential schools, point out any personal pitfalls that you've experienced, or even good reason to abandon online and find a campus.

Thanks for the help.

Advertisement

My suggestion would be, Don't do a degree that says "Game Development".
Pick a specific field if youre going to do a degree in it, several uni's do "Games Programming", "Games Concept Art" and other more specific degrees which actually have more benefit.

There are a plethora of terrible "Games Development" degrees out there and several games studios have mentioned in interviews that they consider these degrees a little off putting as they have no real idea on the quality of education etc.

In a realistic sense, an online degree could be fairly similar to a face to face provided it has good lecturers and encourages group projects with proper source control tools etc, though would still probably be easier to pick things up in person.

Also, if youre going to do a technical degree, do Computer Science (says the Games Programming Degree guy with no regrets).

My suggestion would be, Don't do a degree that says "Game Development".
Pick a specific field if youre going to do a degree in it, several uni's do "Games Programming", "Games Concept Art" and other more specific degrees which actually have more benefit.

There are a plethora of terrible "Games Development" degrees out there and several games studios have mentioned in interviews that they consider these degrees a little off putting as they have no real idea on the quality of education etc.

In a realistic sense, an online degree could be fairly similar to a face to face provided it has good lecturers and encourages group projects with proper source control tools etc, though would still probably be easier to pick things up in person.

Also, if youre going to do a technical degree, do Computer Science (says the Games Programming Degree guy with no regrets).

That is really insightful thanks! I have a pretty solid background in CAD and enjoyed it. I also have a lot of interest in writing story and code. I'm not sure exactly which route I want to go since I can't find a community college style route to go to try out different specifications. Could you suggest a good route for someone interested in detailed 3d illustration as well as story design? I know that's asking a lot out of a specification.

Moved to Game Industry Job Advice. Martian, you should read this forum's FAQs.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

A little late to the conversation, but hopefully you're still watching the topic.  

I'm currently set to graduate from Southern New Hampshire University in December 2017.  I searched for online programs for a few years before I finally decided on this one.  Most of the online programs I found left me with the impression that they only wanted my money and were going to leave me with a diploma that wasn't respected by any employers.  I choose SNHU because it was one of the few programs that could be finished completely online from a regionally accredited, non-profit school with a physical campus that's been around since the 1930s.

The program I started with was a BS in Game Design and Development with an Interactive Storytelling Concentration. They got rid of that program during my second year and now offer Game Art and Development or Game Programming and Development. While they let me continue on the program I was on, they did add a bunch of required classes for like C++, C#, Java, scripting for games, and some linear Algebra.  Basically they felt that a even designer/narrative designer needs to understand what's going on behind the scenes.  So I'm doing a good blend of design and creative writing with some solid programming basics to back it all up.

If you're interested in doing 3d art and story, the Game Art major with the storytelling concentration would be just right.  Since the programming class are now required for all of game development programs you'll get to write some code, too.

http://www.snhu.edu/online-degrees/bachelors/ba-in-game-art-and-development

So short version...I love my school.  I feel like I'm really learning something and being challenged.  I have tons of work each week, it's not just logging in for a few minutes a day.  Sometimes I'm spending my entire day off from work doing school work. But that's okay, because with my schedule (full time job and 4 kids) I would never be able to go to a physical campus.  

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement