How Much Do You Program Outside of Work?

Started by
35 comments, last by Codeloader_Dev 6 years, 8 months ago
2 hours ago, Eck said:

@L. Spiro - Good luck in your campaign. I think part of your platform should be: "I am intelligent." I'll vote for you. 

Clearly, intelligence is no longer a desirable attribute in a presidential candidate :D

if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight
Advertisement
11 hours ago, ChaosEngine said:

Clearly, intelligence is no longer a desirable attribute in a presidential candidate

That's literally true.
A significant number of voters prefer candidates who are seen as "one of them," and associate intelligence with a "holier than thou" attitude.

L. Spiro

I restore Nintendo 64 video-game OST’s into HD! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCtX_wedtZ5BoyQBXEhnVZw/playlists?view=1&sort=lad&flow=grid

On 7/25/2017 at 11:09 PM, Eck said:

If your unasked question is "how do you stay motivated?", watch the movie Collateral.

It's not so much how do you stay motivated, it's more of how many people are still interested in doing programming even after spending 40+ hours a week doing programming/computer related stuff. I've found that I'm not super interested in doing coding related stuff after working because a): there's so many other things I have that I'm interested in doing, such as CG, Warhammer, MtG, reading, gaming, etc. and b): I've done enough coding at work, I'd rather do something different. Mainly I was curious how many people feel similarly if at all. When I initially asked this question, I was also wondering if maybe I'm in the wrong profession, but that, I now believe, was a question that rose out of other issues, not at all related to career, and I won't get into here for a variety of reasons. 

It does seem to be more common here to code in spare time than I'd initially imagined. I'd imagine there are many confounding factors I'm not really examining also. I wonder if it's got anything to do with the fact that this is primarily a game dev crowd as opposed to software dev? Just a thought. 

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

I think you're only in the wrong profession if you don't enjoy your job. There's a limited number of hours in a lifetime. Most of those hours are dedicated to work, commuting, and sleep. If you can find a job you enjoy and can get paid a reasonable wage, you'll be a happier person. 

I love programming. But there were times in my career where work was more than enough programming for me. And I've known great coders who don't do much coding outside of work. And none of us were in the wrong profession. 

Making a cool game is on my list of things to do before I die. To make that happen, I had to play less table-top and computer games. Now I'm a professional game developer so I've been enjoying the hell out of my freetime playing tons of games and rpgs. :)

And yeah I think the audience for your survey is a little biased. Most people here aren't professional game developers, so they do game dev as a hobby or as more serious indie developers. To do that, they have to program outside of work.

- Eck

EckTech Games - Games and Unity Assets I'm working on
Still Flying - My GameDev journal
The Shilwulf Dynasty - Campaign notes for my Rogue Trader RPG

41 minutes ago, Eck said:

I think you're only in the wrong profession if you don't enjoy your job. There's a limited number of hours in a lifetime. Most of those hours are dedicated to work, commuting, and sleep. If you can find a job you enjoy and can get paid a reasonable wage, you'll be a happier person. 

I realize this, but I know for a fact that I'm not dissatisfied with my career choice now. There was something else on my mind that I didn't realize I was confusing with coding/software profession

42 minutes ago, Eck said:

I love programming. But there were times in my career where work was more than enough programming for me. And I've known great coders who don't do much coding outside of work. And none of us were in the wrong profession. 

Mainly just curious at the time about this. It's good to know and clear up any lingering doubts I may have had. Thanks man!

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Spent the whole weekend testing a game on my phone. It uses the GPS to track your position on a map and you complete courses and pick up items on screen. I'd say I program a lot and when I'm doing it I completely forget about work until the following Monday when I realize that my weekend of awesome just came to an end!

Codeloader - Free games, stories, and articles!
If you stare at a computer for 5 minutes you might be a nerdneck!
https://www.codeloader.dev

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement