Coding vs Level Design

Started by
19 comments, last by Writersface13 6 years, 8 months ago

How would I get my hands on something like that? A game with available editing tools. Do you have any examples or links I can use?

Advertisement

Well, Unreal Tournament was already mentioned. And a lot of people make areas and levels for Skyrim using the 'Creation Kit'. But you're probably better off starting from your own interests. What games do you want to make levels for? What games do you enjoy playing? Adding new levels is often called "modding", or is part of the modding process at least, so searching for a game name plus 'modding' or 'mods' in the search term may turn up some ideas.

Good level design should exhibit more than aesthetics, and I would expect a good portfolio to show that.

Competitive multiplayer will call for very different design to single player with a story. Co-op will call for something different again.

I would suggest picking a couple of different types/styles of games, and then making levels with different objectives in mind. Show that you understand the different needs for different styles of games.

It will probably be easier to get started if you pick games that come with official editing tools, or with well known community-made tools. Some experience with Unity and Unreal would probably also be beneficial.

As others have already said, at least basic programming ability may be beneficial but isn't strictly necessary. Learn as much as you feel will be valuable or interests you, or anything that you actually need when trying to create levels. Similarly, a basic ability to edit 3d models and textures may be beneficial - but again it's probably simplest to start working on levels and just learn as much as you need to proceed, and then anything more that interests you.

- Jason Astle-Adams

Modding would probably be best then. I'm not sure how I could get my hands on the Creation Kit or Source Engine though.

5 minutes ago, Writersface13 said:

I'm not sure how I could get my hands on the Creation Kit

Buy Skyrim or Fallout 4. The Creation Kit is freely available and usable to anyone who owns either game.

6 minutes ago, Writersface13 said:

or Source Engine

Similarly, buy any game that uses it. The Source Engine's SDK is freely available, but to run any mods you'll need a Source Engine game to be modding, as far as I recall.

I don't think I have the storage space on my laptop for that. 

Your options are:

1. Acquire more storage space. You're going to need to work on modern software eventually so this will have to happen at some point.
  2. Start with smaller/older games. Look on ModDB or just search generally for moddable games or games with user created levels. Or maybe go through the games you already own and like and research how to make levels for them.

Does ModDB have links for downloading the engines and such?

Did you look for yourself? Usually, to mod (short for 'modify') a game, you need to own that game. Sometimes additional tools are needed to create the levels, and it's not hard to find those tools with web searches if they exist.

Okay. Thank you for your time.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement