Newbie advice - Clicker Game App

Started by
4 comments, last by Chopstick124 6 years, 8 months ago

Hi everyone, this is my first post and was hoping someone would be able to give me some advice.

I have read so many different and conflicting tutorials around how to get started and build a clicker game. Firstly, I need to point out that I have no idea how to code, so that may limit my options.

I have my idea and what I want the game to look like plus Im more than prepared to put the man hours into learning and making it happen.

First step - Im not sure which programme to download and learn how to use, some say Unity, some say Unreal, some say others.... #lost

If anyone can shed any light about things I should be thinking about or any advice they can give, Im all ears!

Thank you!

Advertisement
16 minutes ago, Chopstick124 said:

Im not sure which programme to download and learn how to use, some say Unity, some say Unreal

They are both free to download and try. My suggestion would be to download both, look at some simple tutorials to gain some knowledge with them, and then go with the one you prefer.

Hello to all my stalkers.

1 minute ago, Lactose said:

They are both free to download and try. My suggestion would be to download both, look at some simple tutorials to gain some knowledge with them, and then go with the one you prefer.

Thank you so much for your advice!

I have downloaded Unreal already, but most of the tutorials i have found, in fact i can't find any that guide on how to make an idle clicker. The only one I've found is with Unity - do you rate Unity?

1 minute ago, Chopstick124 said:

Thank you so much for your advice!

I have downloaded Unreal already, but most of the tutorials i have found, in fact i can't find any that guide on how to make an idle clicker. The only one I've found is with Unity - do you rate Unity?

Once you start going beyond the bare basics, you will almost never find a tutorial describing exactly what you want to make. What you will find is people explaining how to do something a lot more general, and it will be up to you to learn and take those general concepts and apply them to your specific problem.

I've used both Unity and Unreal. If the tutorial you found is for Unity, and if the end-result of that tutorial looks like what you want, I would suggest starting with that.

Hello to all my stalkers.

1 minute ago, Lactose said:

Once you start going beyond the bare basics, you will almost never find a tutorial describing exactly what you want to make. What you will find is people explaining how to do something a lot more general, and it will be up to you to learn and take those general concepts and apply them to your specific problem.

I've used both Unity and Unreal. If the tutorial you found is for Unity, and if the end-result of that tutorial looks like what you want, I would suggest starting with that.

You have hit the nail on the head, it is all very basic stuff.

I just wanted to get some expert advice before jumping in and possibly wasting time with the wrong software.

I'll get started with Unity and follow the tutorials to learn to basics, the end result in the tutorial is not exactly what I'm looking for but I think i will be able to make substitute's through-out the process to get closer to my end result.

Thank you for taking the time to help me out, I'm super grateful!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement