Will we ever see an adoption of something other than C and C++?

Started by
50 comments, last by Finalspace 6 years, 7 months ago
17 minutes ago, 0r0d said:

JAI has some really cool ideas and it looks interesting.  I'd love to play around with it.  But, it's problematic in many ways as far as adopting it as your main game development language... even if it was out and full featured, robust, fast, and all that.  Every SDK you're going to be interfacing with will be C/C++, and good luck finding programmers for your team who know the language.  Every new person you bring on board will be a brand new time sink of getting them up to speed on the language alone, much less the engine, game code, tools, and everything else.  One of the nice things about JAI is that it's designed to reduce development "friction", but adopting a new untested language is going to be a lot of friction, even if the coding itself is eventually faster and better.

I totally agree. Introducing something fundamental new into a existing team is very hard or simply not possible, especially when there minds are totally fixed on one single thing. It costs time and maybe money to introduce something new. When it gets out, i will definitly try it out and see how it will go.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement