October 2017 GameDev Challenge: Arcade Battle Arena!

Started by
38 comments, last by Endurion 6 years, 4 months ago

Probably will try to do this challenge if I learn how to do that path finding. How you will do your path finding for this challenge?

Advertisement
2 hours ago, povilaslt2 said:

Probably will try to do this challenge if I learn how to do that path finding. How you will do your path finding for this challenge?

Maybe you can try a line trace to a direction, so you can see where you can walk and where you cant. But making it jump is a lot harder i think. Also you can use a tilemap structure to see where you can walk and where you cant. I dont think you need a path finding for that.

But i never made any AI programming in my entirely 25 years of programming at all, so i just guess. Maybe it isn´t that hard?...Also there are plenty of resources out there.

Regarding if you can do this challenge: Just start and do it, you will see how far you can get. You can always hack something in :D

3 hours ago, povilaslt2 said:

What @Finalspace said about checking the tiles to see where the enemy can walk and where it can't is a good and simple idea. (it is what I'm doing, too).

On 10/13/2017 at 3:10 PM, Finalspace said:

Making progress after a few evenings (Yeah i know it looks really devy, but it works great and has a stable system behind):

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=iGGA1d_8dJY

Can't see the video. It's redirecting to my own channel url.

I'm slow on the development bc I'm studying for a test on 22nd :'(, after that I will be able to finish the game.

9 hours ago, ferreiradaselva said:

Can't see the video. It's redirecting to my own channel url.

Here's a fixed link:

" rel="external">
Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

I'm still somewhat new when it comes to game creation, considering I haven't ever finished or really even done anything, been doing some basic tutorials with Unity. I did some with Gamemaker, but I wasn't a huge fan of Gamemaker even after finishing a tutorial with that.

Regardless, maybe I'll atleast try and make something for this, just for the experience. 

Here's a GIF (thanks ScreenToGIF) of my entry, probably named Birdie's Revenge. It's a sequel of sorts to an old Bubble Bobble clone I wrote for DOS (Turbo Pascal, yay!)

The game play is Bubble Bobble like, but I plan to add quite a few more extras than the old clone had:

59e748006ff1a_BirdiesRevenge.gif.gif.3895aecc4cd7fb6799eb858551d43f02.gif

Fruny: Ftagn! Ia! Ia! std::time_put_byname! Mglui naflftagn std::codecvt eY'ha-nthlei!,char,mbstate_t>

On 18.10.2017 at 2:24 PM, Endurion said:

Here's a GIF (thanks ScreenToGIF) of my entry, probably named Birdie's Revenge. It's a sequel of sorts to an old Bubble Bobble clone I wrote for DOS (Turbo Pascal, yay!)

The game play is Bubble Bobble like, but I plan to add quite a few more extras than the old clone had:

59e748006ff1a_BirdiesRevenge.gif.gif.3895aecc4cd7fb6799eb858551d43f02.gif

Looks great! It seems to be complete as well.

I am making progress too, but i am far from finishing the game: 

Holy crap!! I wish I had seen this gamedev challenge earlier. Is this a monthly thing? I don't have enough time to submit an entry for Oct 2017, but I'll definitely join for upcoming challenges.

1 hour ago, masskonfuzion said:

I don't have enough time to submit an entry for Oct 2017, but I'll definitely join for upcoming challenges.

You can totally submit after. You can interpret it like "make this game in 4 weeks". The most important thing here is learning.

1 hour ago, masskonfuzion said:

Holy crap!! I wish I had seen this gamedev challenge earlier. Is this a monthly thing? I don't have enough time to submit an entry for Oct 2017, but I'll definitely join for upcoming challenges.

Any user can submit a challenge (under a mod approval), and it's not necessarily a monthly thing: https://www.gamedev.net/forums/forum/81-gamedev-challenges/

I still havent finished my entry, i wont make it in time - i am just to tired because of my cold going on since three weeks straight :-(

But i have prepared a new challenge for you guys, maybe i will submit it for november/december...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement