Recently Decided to go for the Game Industry

Started by
2 comments, last by frob 6 years, 2 months ago

Hello everyone. I am a beginner in game development. I few months back I recently decided that my career path would be on the Game Industry. Of course its still a baby decision and has a lot of flexibility. I could end up being any software developer instead. But here's what I had to think about.

I was interested mainly in narratives. I always appreciated deep and rich meaningful storylines whether it was from a game or a movie/TV series. I'm more of an RPG, Mystery, Adventure type of person. I enjoyed theories about how the stories might unfold and stuff like that and the mystery thrill that goes along with it. I was kinda stuck between the Movie/TV Industry and Game Industry. But eventually, I thought maybe I should just jump on and start learning things that would help me get into the game industry. I am currently a senior high school student and in Computer Science, I am doing some game development. I'm still quite the beginner and I do feel intimidated. I jumped in on an Unreal Engine tutorial for beginners (its on Udemy by Ben Tristem) and I'm having difficulties grasping it. I do have doubts about succeeding. But that doesn't stop me from allocating some time to learn. I thought maybe I should try other engines and see if it will be an easier start. Right now I'm trying to learn Unity and C# and it seems like the learning curve will be much better. I'll still checkout Unreal Engine every now and then of course. I'm just testing to see which one would work for me best.

I was for a gamedev community and found this hoping to find some people who will help me along the way. I really like the idea of being in a community with people who have the same interests as you. That's why I do hope I can get into a uni with a game development related course. However I decided I'll take a gap year after graduating HS for several personal reasons. Another thing I need help on is this actually. I am in Japan but (I'm originally from the Philippines) and I'm not really looking forward to using Japanese. I don't know why but I just wanna use English and be in an English-speaking environment so I am hoping to go to an American or Canadian or UK (or any English speaking country) University. (I just really like the language. It makes me feel like I could connect to more people and I wanna be better at it as well) If I could get good recommendations on which school to go to, that would be awesome! The other main factor in choosing a school aside from the fact that I want to focus on game development is the cost. Oh, yes, it's always about money. I am by no means a kid from a rich family and I will be needing financial aid.

But yeah. I hope I will have a great time here :)

EDIT:

I just realized this might have been the wrong forum section. I apologize for that, Moderators. Please feel free to move this.

Advertisement
10 hours ago, Theoretical Tiger said:

I just realized this might have been the wrong forum section. I apologize for that, Moderators. Please feel free to move this.

You got it.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

You mention details that apply to different jobs. Some are design, some are writing, some are programming. Usually you get to do only one of those.  Choosing to become a programmer if you don't love working with code is going to be a frustrating career choice.  I suggest you read over Tom Sloper's excellent FAQs regarding the nature of the jobs, some things to consider regarding schooling and job hunting, and helpful tips about getting your first job in the industry.

As for financial aid, that is quite common.  Apply to scholarships and as many sources of financial aid as you can find. Do all you can to qualify for it, such as keeping up your grades and working all your social networks. Financial aid can make schools more affordable, but cost is always something to consider. 

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement