What's your story: How and why did you start learning how to make games?

Started by
37 comments, last by mikeman 5 years, 7 months ago
On 8/22/2018 at 10:52 AM, Gustie said:

It began when i was a young kid, i chose solitarity over hanging out with others. I loved creating little strategy games on paper and then cutting out pieces with paper health bars and all the stats written down. Then i've made a few games out of my favorite movies like star wars. Then i got the computer...

A lot of games developers begin this way, y'know!  ^_^

I personally loved board games as a child as it was something you physically interacted with, and its you who brings the rules of the game to life. Sometimes it can go the other way; I came up with a lego-based game of Altered Beast after playing it in a shop display when I was like...10 or something? Having played MB's "Thunder Road" really helped on that one!

Do you still play traditional games?

Languages; C, Java. Platforms: Android, Oculus Go, ZX Spectrum, Megadrive.

Advertisement
On 8/22/2018 at 12:52 PM, Gustie said:

It began when i was a young kid, i chose solitarity over hanging out with others. I loved creating little strategy games on paper and then cutting out pieces with paper health bars and all the stats written down. Then i've made a few games out of my favorite movies like star wars. Then i got the computer, which gave me the reason to play every possible game there is, now over the years i've noticed the pattern in how the games are made, i wanted to know how exactly this world is made. So i have picked up programming basics so i can understand reality more. 

It made sense that we create games mirroring the life itself, so to this day i am focusing my creativity on ideas that could somehow change the world. I don't believe that one person can change the world, but withthe help of other individuals we can learn to develop much better systems like we do already in the world. That was the inner drive that lead to learning to code my first app :)

That is so me ❤️ I started out reading books and very similarly to you, used to draw characters in school. Half the notebooks in school would end up sketched with skeletons, little demons and i don't even know what :D  It's so interesting to see how we end up growing up the way we are it all makes sense in the end

Aa a child i saw a shooting star (meteorite) falling from the sky. I wished to know how this world was built. Well, after 5 years computer industry progressed so much, now after 15 years i can see how my wish was granted. Thank you guys :D We are all a part of the development

I like to draw original characters even when I was a student. It's more of a peer pressure with my programmers and multimedia artists friends. And we collab for a passion project that our aim is to make our imagination tangible. 

On Hiatus this month. Will be taking a brief vacation from work. Got my F-150 working again so I bought a few items including fuel wheels to use for the road trip.

I won't have the unique story about how i started making games, everyone i know started this way, playing games themselves, then asking the questions like how they are made.

Usually when you play some games you think about "what if this game had an option to do that"..  And then over the years you have a few questions which brings you to "how do i learn the art myself", so you start picking up basics and there we go. I came the same way as anyone else here :) 

It's been a very long time i can't clearly remember the exact timeline of the events, i do remember one think clearly though. 

It was the deep and cold season of winter, you know, the usual one in the outskirts of a country. Where snow stacks on top and never goes away. I was sitting down making my classic lego science fiction castle/assets/buildings/figurines, the typical self made game, i did not know much about programming, i thought it was something a lot of people have to do. 

A while later i talked to my friend on a phone and he was asking what i was doing, so i told him and then he got the idea to try and model what i build with legos on the screen. So we played with the MS Paint for a while, trying to think of the best way to do the view, we downloaded the 3DSmax and started playing with it. Eventually that led us to copying other people codes to compile the graphic and learning the basics

I'm on a mission from god.

:P
Ever since I was a teenager, I've had a desire to "create entertainment."  Over the years, I've learned that, as a visionary, I excel at concept but lack in execution (though I did manage to write 250 pages of an attempted novel).  About a year ago, I made the decision to brute-force teaching myself programming, and a series of suspiciously fortunate events have led me to conclude that I'm on a right track.

Is currently working on a rpg/roguelike
Dungeons Under Gannar
Devblog

My first "game-playing" machine was the Atari 2600, but IIRC, it was around the age of 10 on my monochrome 286 and because of this game that I suddenly decided I wanted to "learn how to do that"

At that point, I was imagining that game programmers was sort of deities, that had to program each and every possible state of the game - if, say, 8 sprites could be in myriad different positions and states, a programmer, I thought, had "programmed" each permutation. Slightly later, my father introduced me to QBASIC(though he himself quit trying to learn programming soon after), and I was blown away by GORILLAS.BAS - I could actually *see* the whole source code and then I pressed "Run" and this awesome game played. And now I work on the Battlefield franchise. It's been...a journey. :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement