The Han Solo Movie and the Star Wars Franchise's Direction

Started by
54 comments, last by Anri 5 years, 10 months ago

I didn't know GotG was a superhero story at all until after I finished watching it (which I guess shows how little of a comic book fan I am), and enjoyed it immensely, presumably for just that reason.  I knew it was based on a comic, but thought it was some isolated comic and not a piece of the marvel universe.

You can't really do that kind of disconnect against something like the avengers even if you wanted to.

Advertisement
2 hours ago, Oberon_Command said:

Wonder if that was a big factor in how well it was received?

I'd find that ironic if it were the case, since GotG is probably one of the most important stories in the MCU in the build up to Infinity War. 

I mean, you can miss the entire Avengers2/Winter Soldier/Civil War arc and still watch Infinity War... GotG sets up way more plot points.

Anyway, I think GotG was well received because it was a good movie with a great cast, director and a fantastic soundtrack. 

if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight
9 hours ago, ChaosEngine said:

Anyway, I think GotG was well received because it was a good movie with a great cast, director and a fantastic soundtrack. 

They certainly won me over with Fox on the run! ^_^

Languages; C, Java. Platforms: Android, Oculus Go, ZX Spectrum, Megadrive.

I found this article:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/lucasfilm-licking-wounds-but-not-halting-star-wars-development-1122655

Looks like they aren’t halting development of the new movies. Thoughts?

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

I didn't expect them to halt anything because there was already an 18 month gap inbetween Solo and Episode 9 on their schedule.

If you split the combined takings of Disney's four SW movies then on average its about $1 billion per picture. The profit on Force Awakens alone will have covered the cost of the advertising budget for Solo, which so far is all they lost out on.   If you go on just the budget then the film has at least made some profit...

To be honest, I see Solo as just being a film not many people were aware of.  Usually, my friends inform me of an incoming SW movie( even though I already know ), but for Solo, nothing.  Eventually I was the one to speak up this time and they were all surprised when I asked them "looking forward to the new one in May?" and they were like "What?  Another one?".  Then the confusion as to why May instead of Christmas.

I think that Solo is going to fare better on home sales, later in the year.  When a film is doing the rounds at the cinema the advertising is limited to the merchandise on store shelves such as toys or tie-in books, but when you have a home release you have large shippers and units sent in to the big supermarkets and stores - usually as you walk in the front door...and if that advertising has "STAR WARS" in big bold letters on it then every man and his dog will snap it up.

That said, they need to give at least a fortnight's distance from Infinity War's home release...Disney would have to be incredibly dumb to screw up twice...

Languages; C, Java. Platforms: Android, Oculus Go, ZX Spectrum, Megadrive.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement