Starting a browser game.

Started by
5 comments, last by frob 5 years, 8 months ago

I’d like to develope a browser game like an old game on Facebook “Friends for Sale” or FFSNG.

It’s about buying/selling pets representing people with virtual currency.

I don’t know how and where to start. I’m completely new to this. I only know CSS and HTML since I used to make profile themes..

Here’s a link if you don’t understand what I’m trying to say. 

Have a great day!

Advertisement

learn javascript next. Plenty of great tutorials out there.

I forgot about those type of games! They basically started the freemium movement in web-based gaming. Agree with SkyPenguin though, learn some JavaScript and check out what others have done. 

I agree with SkyPenguin. JavaScript should be you next learning step.

To build such a game you more or less need the same infrastructure as every other (non trivial and interactive) website.

Interaction with player:
You can build the player frontend with your html and css skills.

Data handling:
You need some way to handle and store the player data.
If you learn javascript a nodeJS application could do this or a to get started even a simple php-script might be enough.

To store the player data you could use a database (recommended) or just start with a file on the server (not reccomened but useful for quick and dirty tests of concept :) ).

Does anyone know any links to the tutorials to make these kind of browser games? I'm quite interested but I know too less about game development :( So some lists of tutotrials would be good for a newbie like me :)

2 hours ago, poisonknight said:

any links to the tutorials to make these kind of browser games?

Use your favorite search engine and type in "javascript tutorial". The tutorials by the Web Consortium (W3Schools) and Mozilla are fairly popular, but there are many excellent resources out there. 

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement