Are there simple games that build on a single asset?

Started by
4 comments, last by Learn2develop 5 years, 8 months ago

I'd like to create a simple multiplayer game designed around a single asset, you could call it tokens or bullets or power points, but I find it difficult to come up with some very core concepts. Now I'm looking for inspiration.

I'm thinking in terms of a command line game in terms of simplicity and the way you'd play is transferring your assets to someone else, or to a pool or a "duel". I want to run it on a blockchain if that helps to understand.

My main issue is figuring out how not to hoard the tokens and instead use them to fight or collaborate with others.

Advertisement
4 hours ago, romeozor said:

a simple multiplayer game designed around a single asset,

What do you mean by "asset"? To me, assets, in game development, are the visual and audio files - animations, objects, effects, icons, beeps, music, etc.  You're using the word to mean "virtual goods" or "in-game value," apparently. There's another recent thread, about "value in games," that may touch upon what you're trying to do. In effect, you're saying "I want to design an in-game economy, but what should the economy be based on?"  And I think that's a backward approach. All parties in an economy both contribute and take from economy - businesses provide goods to workers and everyone in exchange for money, workers provide labor in exchange for money, etc. You are contemplating creating an economy in a vacuum, without first deciding what is the universe in which the economy resides. Maybe it's time to think about game genres, and a theme.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

No I don’t think you need single assets only while creating a game. You are thinking to create a multiplayer game, which may include various things like, visuals, ideas, logics, sound and many more. So you should be ready to use more than single asset. Because it’s better to work in a proper way to deliver a good result at the end. It will be time taking as well.

Pretty sure he means assets as in game currency or other items.

I can't really think of any examples, generally there are many things id consider assets in anything more complex than like a simple one-round card game. e.g. beyond that you might have points, but now I have two things, my points (which maybe I could use for bets and thus have the potential to loose them, like say Poker), and my current hand of cards. I guess if I did not have my own hand, and was just placing bets on something else outside my control its a single asset, but not sure id count that as a game.

It would be nice if you could elaborate a bit more about your definition of assets, as this could apply to an array of things. I find it intriguing that you're interested in developing a command line game. I would love to see how this turns out, as I haven't played a game of this style in quite some time. 

?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement