How much of your guy's work is film vs game audio?

Started by
2 comments, last by Jordan Winslow 5 years, 8 months ago

I was wondering if there are any sound engineers here that have migrated into game audio from other areas of audio post? I imagine there are quite a good number of you that are making a full time living off of game audio alone, but for those of you who aren't, how much of your current work is split between game audio vs other post production fields? What are your thoughts on future trajectories of the jobs in game audio vs other areas for your particular companies?

Would love to hear your thoughts! Thanks so much

-Jonathan

This is my placeholder signature
Advertisement

This is a really interesting question. Recently, much more of my work is in games. But over the course of my whole career, I've worked on roughly: 

- 109 video game projects (that number is actually a little bit outdated, it's a little bit higher now)

- 112 TV/film (short and feature)/commercial/trailer projects

I do fewer video projects over the year but do fill up the year with game projects. So while it feels like my work is heavily skewed towards games, the numbers are almost even between the two. 

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

It is certainly easier to break into the gaming audio industry than in the film industry, in my opinion. Game audio is more forgiving of experimentation and thinking outside of the box, whereas filmmakers are less likely to stray as far from contemporary orchestration and generally seem to stick with "tried and true" instrumentation. (Depending on the genre, of course, this is why I love Sci-Fi so much! Lots of opportunities for ambient soundscapes and grungy electronic basses there!)

Luckily in both film and game production, we are seeing a plethora of new opportunities pop up across the map, as technology is making development less and less expensive and requires less of a steep learning curve thanks to its power. I would say both fields have equal opportunity but in my opinion, the best way to angle yourself as a music producer is as someone who can comfortably shift gears from contemporary scoring techniques for film, and evocative electronic soundscapes for video games ?

That being said, it's about 40%-60% for me, film vs video games. Indie game developers are easier to work with and sometimes audio can come into the picture far earlier in game development than in film which generally waits until post-production to even THINK about the music. 

Electronic Music Producer, Composer & Audio Engineer

Free Commercial Use Music Downloads - My Story 

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement