Issue with Graphics Driver Nvidia when using DirectX 9.0c and DirectPlay 8.

Started by
13 comments, last by CrazyCdn 5 years, 8 months ago

I created a multiplayer RTS game with DirectX 9 and DirectPlay 8.

When I start the game after both players have connected, the game crashes on both sides.

I checked the call stack and got this:

>    nvd3dum.dll!62cd0867()    Unknown
     [Frames below may be incorrect and/or missing, no symbols loaded for nvd3dum.dll]    
     nvd3dum.dll!62db38b1()    Unknown
     nvd3dum.dll!62d36092()    Unknown
     ntdll.dll!77c4fa78()    Unknown
     ntdll.dll!77c292ac()    Unknown
     ntdll.dll!77c28cca()    Unknown
     ntdll.dll!77c287d5()    Unknown
     ntdll.dll!77c275b4()    Unknown
     ntdll.dll!77c1f6aa()    Unknown
     KernelBase.dll!751fba7d()    Unknown
     nvd3dum.dll!62d4f327()    Unknown
     nvd3dum.dll!62fd9948()    Unknown
     kernel32.dll!74ea8484()    Unknown
     ntdll.dll!77c42fea()    Unknown
     ntdll.dll!77c42fba()    Unknown

Feel free to ask me any questions you might have if they will help me in fixing this issue! Thanks!

Advertisement

How about running the game in the debugger so you can find where it's actually crashing?  Since what you provided is pretty much useless.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." --Benjamin Franklin

I was running it in the debugger. I got that from the call stack...

A guess may be the server sends some data the clients can't understand correctly and corrupt the memory.

Run the debug version in a debugger, then you can see the source code where it crashes.

https://www.kbasm.com -- My personal website

https://github.com/wqking/eventpp  eventpp -- C++ library for event dispatcher and callback list

https://github.com/cpgf/cpgf  cpgf library -- free C++ open source library for reflection, serialization, script binding, callbacks, and meta data for OpenGL Box2D, SFML and Irrlicht.

I did and I get same errors or I get a return 1 error

It says the dlls in the call stack and sometimes says 

Game.exe returned 1

nvd3dum.dll is an Nvidia driver, is it not? Could this be the driver crashing or resetting?

I would also point out that DirectPlay was deprecated a LONG time ago (like, since Windows Vista) and I'm frankly very surprised it still works on Windows 10.

7 hours ago, Oberon_Command said:

nvd3dum.dll is an Nvidia driver, is it not? Could this be the driver crashing or resetting?

So is my driver bad?

Also, what are the free non GNU GPL sources so I can use something that works while not having to give away my source code?

This looks like a continuation from your previous topic, questions about attempting to delete items in a container class and then having the existing game you're using crash.

You need to learn how to crawl, then walk, then run.  You can't start out by running.

The questions you're asking show you don't know how to use the language, nor do you know how to use the tools. While it is possible that you might guess correctly, usually the guesses you are doing result in crashes like you're experiencing.  

You need to go learn how to use C++. Your earlier example shows you don't understand pointers, you must master what pointers are and how they work. Learn about containers. Learn about object lifetimes, because they are critical in games. In order to understand each of these you need to learn the language more broadly. There are many excellent online guides for learning C++, and many excellent books. Here are some books I recommend, but many other good books and online courses exist.

You also need to learn how to use your debugger. The debugging info you've been posting is useless. Assuming you've configured your build correctly the debugger should let you find your code in the call stack to reveal exactly where your error is.  But you don't have it configured correctly. Microsoft has many good resources for this on MSDN, many web sites have great tutorials, and sites like StackExchange tend to have good answers if you have questions on a specific topic, use your favorite search engine to find them.

Your driver is probably fine.  It's more that you need more experience to use it properly.

I do know how to use C++, I am just used to the Visual Studio 2003 compiler. 

I just want to know how I can do this so I can just keep developing.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement