Starting a Career in the Gaming Industry - Help Required

Started by
5 comments, last by GeneralJist 5 years, 7 months ago

Hi all,

I'm looking for a career change as the job that i currently do is neither a passion or something that i really want to be doing for the rest of my life. I would ideally like to begin a career in the gaming industry as like most others i have a strong passion for gaming and all things related. I have been looking into a junior test analyst QA job and was wondering if this is the correct place to start. I'm a dedicated worker so don't mind working my way up and I love being hands on with things. I was wondering if anyone had any advice regarding this or how i can go about gaining experience in this field to give myself the best chance. I'm more than willing to do either weekend work or free work to get my foot in the door so if there is any advice or help anyone could give me that would be great. 

Thanks for reading,

Dan 

Advertisement

Do you have any programming experience? Even though I think it's not mandatory, I've heard that QA positions in general (I guess in gaming industry as well) have started to consider at least basic scripting programming a valuable skill. I guess probably Python is a good technology to learn.

Is your current job related at all with tech? What is your target position? I mean, what job would you like to get to after X years in the industry?

Regards!

5 minutes ago, jjimenezg93 said:

Do you have any programming experience? Even though I think it's not mandatory, I've heard that QA positions in general (I guess in gaming industry as well) have started to consider at least basic scripting programming a valuable skill. I guess probably Python is a good technology to learn.

Is your current job related at all with tech? What is your target position? I mean, what job would you like to get to after X years in the industry?

Regards!

Hi, 

unfortunately i don't really have any programming experience which i feel will be something that potentially holds me back. My current background is electrical engineering and ideally i'd love to make it up to game development level one day and have control over making something and producing games.

Thanks for the reply

10 hours ago, dandoherty94 said:

I was wondering if anyone had any advice regarding this

Yes. Working as a testerApplying for a game job

Changing careers into games

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

17 hours ago, Tom Sloper said:

Thanks, will be giving these a good read

For most QA is a good place to start. 

Look for QA positions online, such as: 

https://www.moddb.com/jobs

Togle to QA if not there. 

If you eventually want to be a game designer, start looking into both art and programming. 

Most designers will need both with a focus on one or the other. 

Also look into world builders,map editors , level designers and engines, there is a lot to try out and play around with to figure out if you are good and and like the work. 

I only know 2 game designers that aren't artists nor programmers, they just wrote game design documents with many deigns. It's a rarity, and much harder to find a job, but it can happen. 

If you haven't already, start documenting your designs and see what happens. 

Our company homepage:

https://honorgames.co/

My New Book!:

https://booklocker.com/books/13011.html

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement