What is the hardest thing you come across building a game?

Started by
23 comments, last by mr_tawan 5 years, 6 months ago
1 hour ago, Hodgman said:

I've been 'finishing' my game for 5 years... I quit my job in 2012 to be able to work on it full time... 

My jungle game has been a work in progress for at least 6 years lol. :) I think as well as limiting the overall scale from the outset, refactoring and shrinking the original vision is a skill I have to work on.

This is a great quote for game development:

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.

Advertisement

Hogman. What percent of almost finish do you see yourself at?

where to start. You ever feel like you have all the tools to build something, you just don't have the instructions pad with you? That's where I'm at. I'm stuck between all this knowledge I have to build a game. The story, plot weapons armor activities of what you can do in the game. But the only part I'm missing the tech part. Honestly I want to learn to a certain point but I don't want to spend my life learning code. I just want to make games. So I'm hear to learn

7 hours ago, Hodgman said:

I quit my job in 2012 to be able to work on it full time... 

No way... seriously?  I'm inspired.  So you created your own development studio?  Did you get grant funding or something?

15 hours ago, Dawan Dumas said:

Hogman. What percent of almost finish do you see yourself at?

For the entire project I've probably been saying 50% done and another year until we can launch... 

14 hours ago, Awoken said:

No way... seriously?  I'm inspired.  So you created your own development studio?  Did you get grant funding or something?

I quit with enough savings to pay my bills for a year, and my co-founder artist did the same (well, he sold his house...). I did part time contracting as an engine dev to stretch my savings out further. Then I licensed our custom game engine to a local company to stretch a bit further... Then we started doing "serious games" work-for-hire contracts (simulations, training, etc) to stretch a bit further still... And a year ago we got a government grant to pay for a second programmer to help me. We need to make a LOT of money back off this game for it to be financially worthwhile - we've bled a lot of money into it. I'll say "we have a studio" when that happens :D

7 hours ago, Hodgman said:

I quit with enough savings to pay my bills for a year, and my co-founder artist did the same (well, he sold his house...). 

Well I've just quit my job last Friday. Just getting frustrated with the new role in the new team. Anyway I have provident fund which should last a year given that I'm spending too much...

I'm thinking about getting back to game development where I was last only a year at the beginning of my career. My knowledge are mostly obsoleted, only some basic concepts I have with me still applies I guess. I still don't have any direction though. I hope I can find the way after spending a few months thinking what I will do next... May be I will come up with some idea after my money runs out :P.

Thinking about the past... I think the day I leave my game development career, I told my colleague that I need to get back to reality, I have to be realistic. Funny I've got hit hard by the reality lol. The said colleague is now at Square Enix I think, working in his dream job all day long. I guess I'm kinda jealous to say the least.

Well live goes on anyway :P.

http://9tawan.net/en/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement