Student looking for advice finding a placement

Started by
6 comments, last by frob 5 years, 6 months ago

Hi everyone! I'm currently in my 2nd-year studying computer science for games development at Northumbria Uni in the UK. Next year I will be doing a year in industry, meaning I have to start looking for a placement now. Obviously, the perfect placement for me would be something in the games industry, however, I know these placements are quite rare and I assume they're super competitive. 

I was just wondering if anyone has any advice for me so that I can increase my chances of standing out to companies. I have been making games in my spare time for quite some time now, and have been working on building a portfolio since I started Uni, so if anybody could take the time to give me some feedback on my portfolio, that would also be appreciated (http://www.josephwhitehead.com), I am also quite active in the local game dev community, going to meet-ups every month and I even run the Universities game development society.

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks :) 

Also, any feedback on my CV would be super helpful :)http://josephwhitehead.com/CV.pdf

Advertisement
2 hours ago, jwgames said:

Obviously, the perfect placement for me would be something in the games industry, however, I know these placements are quite rare and I assume they're super competitive. 

You have to apply anyway. If you don't apply, you definitely won't get the placement. All that stuff you said in the 2nd paragraph sounds great (you're doing the right things).

Can you narrow down your broad advice quest? Can you point to specific types of advice, can you ask specific questions of us?

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

For a sec I thought you might be one of our former concept artists "Joseph Whited", anyways...

So your basically looking for an internship eh?

Look at:

https://gamedevmap.com/

And search in your area.

Normally it's easier to find internships in a field than a regular job, but since the games industry is so popular and exclusive, it's much harder. 

I don't know about your school, but when I was completing my degree. there was a specific person in my department that was in change of managing the lists and relationships, and application process for our mandatory internship.  (we called it "field study" in the psych department. 

Being more specific with what  you need and the situation would also help.   

Is the degree computer science? or is it game development?

or is it a specialized sub degree in game development put on by the computer science department?

Our company homepage:

https://honorgames.co/

My New Book!:

https://booklocker.com/books/13011.html

On 10/1/2018 at 11:44 PM, Tom Sloper said:

You have to apply anyway. If you don't apply, you definitely won't get the placement. All that stuff you said in the 2nd paragraph sounds great (you're doing the right things).

Can you narrow down your broad advice quest? Can you point to specific types of advice, can you ask specific questions of us?

Hi, thanks for the help. 

I'm mainly looking for feedback on my portfolio site and my CV, as I feel like this is where I need to stand out the most. 

My CV is viewable here: http://josephwhitehead.com/CV.pdf

On 10/4/2018 at 12:12 AM, GeneralJist said:

For a sec I thought you might be one of our former concept artists "Joseph Whited", anyways...

So your basically looking for an internship eh?

Look at:

https://gamedevmap.com/

And search in your area.

Normally it's easier to find internships in a field than a regular job, but since the games industry is so popular and exclusive, it's much harder. 

I don't know about your school, but when I was completing my degree. there was a specific person in my department that was in change of managing the lists and relationships, and application process for our mandatory internship.  (we called it "field study" in the psych department. 

Being more specific with what  you need and the situation would also help.   

Is the degree computer science? or is it game development?

or is it a specialized sub degree in game development put on by the computer science department?

Thanks for the help.

My course is a Computer Science degree that has several optional specialized sub-degrees for the final year. The uni does have a list of placement, however, there aren't any games placements, hence I have to find one for myself.  

4 hours ago, jwgames said:

I'm mainly looking for feedback on my portfolio site and my CV, as I feel like this is where I need to stand out the most. 

1. I'm not sure about the full site policy for this, but when I posted my resume for feedback a bit ago, a moderator removed it, and said I needed to put one up that didn't have my personal contact information. 
  2. You misspelled "optimized" 
  3. If your portfolio only has info about that one project, keep it where it is, if it has more than I'd recommend moving it to the link to the top with your contact info. If it’s just for that one project, you can hyperlink the title. (that’s what I do for my project in my resume)   
  4. I understand this resume version is for games, and normally you do want to put the most relevant things at the top. If you make a version for non-games jobs, than reverse the order of experiences you have, putting professional experience at the top. 
  5. I don't pretend to understand any non US. education systems, but traditionally in a resume, if you are still a student, or graduated in the last 5 years, your education should be one of the 1st sections. 
  6. You need dates for your experiences 
    1. I once saw a fellow indie devs resume with no dates, and my instant reaction was he was trying to hide how long he's been at stuff, I asked him about it, and he confirmed that most stuff was for a few months. 
    2. The thing about resumes is people expect to see standard sections. Such as professional experience, skills, volunteer experience, etc. As well as common HR buzz words, like, "high energy" . good multitasker, Team player, cross functional teams,  etc. It's not the most interesting or creative thing, but your r resume is often not seen by a person until after it's filter through an applicant tracking system (ATS), these systems are built on standardization, and key words. If your resume doesn't have the key word they are looking for, it's passed up. It sucks, and you'd hope people can read through the lines, but as said, a computer sees your resume 1st. 
      1. I'd recommend restructuring your 2 1st page experiences into a volunteer section, and getting rid of the 2 headers you do have. 
  7. An "about" section is not something I've ever seen on a resume. And not common at all, I'd take that out, and keep that for your cover letter. If there is stuff you consider valuable experience, extract it from the section, and make a new experience for it. And/ Or, put an objective at the top of your resume. Objectives are a bit of an older practice, which has changed to career summary, but you don't have enough experience to have a career summary. 
  8. I get it, you’re a student, and you’re young, and you don't have much experience. Trying to hide that usually doesn't end well. 
  9.  2 pages is too long for the about of information you have, you could easily put it all on 1 page. 
  10. I'd remove your game pictures. Unless you want to be an artist, pictures have no place on a resume. If they want to see the personal project you did, they will click on the portfolio link, and find it themselves. 
  11. Resumes, as with a lot of stuff in life, you want to show, don't tell. Much of what your saying is telling us you've done something, we want you to show us, by that, I don't mean show us pics or what you've done, we want a list of your responsibilities, what you've done in a list. 
    1. Telling us you've lead a project is not as impressive as showing us how you lead a project.
    2. It's good that you've worked on something for a year or more, most people don't stay that long if they are working by themselves. They usually switch to a new project. But in the Industry, a year is minimum on the  short side. I've been on my project for 7 years, it's not a contest, and I'm not trying to brag  or make you feel less, just know you are competing with others  who have  a lot of experience, everyone wants to get into the games industry, not everyone is prepared for what it really is. Your goal is to show people you has what it takes, and you've done the job in your own way and your experience is transferable. 
  12. As I said above, you can fit it all on 1 page, besides that, I personally think you're spacing is a bit too wide, almost like you’re trying to maximize how much space your resume takes. 
  13. For your mandatory internship, I'd recommend seriously considering the list your department has,  I'm not sure if you understand this, but that list is filled with companies and relationships  that your school and the company have already negotiated. They have contracts (most likely) or some kind of commitment from a manager somewhere, that they will take you under their wing for a set amount of time, and if your program is like mine, you are required to take a course that has you write reports  or report on your internship experience. The on site manager also should have a form they fill out when the internship is over to evaluate your performance.  I'd suspect, if you want to find any company outside the list, games industry or no,    you'd need to help coordinate, and set them up, or at very least find the right person in the company to talk to your department faculty internship coordinator. I'm not saying it can't be done, but I'm saying that there is likely a lot of extra leg work that needs to be done to get a new company approved.   Beyond all of this, the new company would likely need to make a commitment to your department to keep an internship program going, after you’re gone. Trying to get them to just bring you on for a 1 time internship can happen, but it's harder. And s said, requires a lot of leg work on your behalf. 
  14. Another important thing that you might not have considered is that outside the games industry, games companies and informal game experience is usually looked down on by other industries. Not always the case, but it comes from the PR of the games industry, most other industries get the impression your just messing around. It's hard for them to see transferable experience, and most non games recruiters don't know what to with resumes with games experience & education. 
    1. Game development is seen as too specialized, infect, some of my classmates with game degrees have a harder time finding jobs than those with just conventional computer science degrees.
    2. I know most people who want to pursue games have this grand idea that once they get the games degree a games company will snatch them up and they will be on the path of accomplishing all their games related dreams. It doesn't work that way. Some schools with game degrees perpetuate that false hope to capitalize on the game dev dream.  You’re on the right path with your personal project, but you need to be at it longer, and showing what hard and soft skills your learning.  Consider maybe bring ng on a team? Leadership is not leadership if you’re only leading yourself. The bigger and more organized a team you have the better.
    3. Maybe It’s just my dad and people in his age range (he’s 65 now), but he’s been an electrical engineer mainly in the tech industry for nearly 40+ years, and he’s always looked down on my volunteer games experience, no matter how I spin or explain it. Even when I started a business for games, he maintained that it wasn’t a serious thing.  It might be a generational thing; most hiring managers are in their mid to late 30s at the very minimum. Despite statistics saying the average age of gamers is 30, it’s still an important gap that needs to be considered. You need to try and speak their language, and meet people where they are. When I came to Gilead, my managers would ask me about myself during lunch, and none of them really new anything about games, nor how hard it is to make them. Maybe I’m just finding the wrong people, but understand and expect that gap, if you don’t work to actively bridge it, people will write you off. Doing things that most  people don’t understand is a sure way of  Bing misunderstood. (which can lead to a whole host of issues).
    4. When I was in the last quarter of my school, I talked to one of my psychology professors about a recent opening at Blizzard that involved the class she was teaching. She said “Those tech companies are doing well aren’t they?” It was refreshing to hear someone consider games companies tech companies, but from my experience, this is a minority perspective.    
  15. Game jams are not as impressive as most would think, in no other industry would you highlight you did a job for 48-36 hours. (any time less than a month on a resume should not have an entry, (in most situations) Keep game jams in your description, that's fine,  just trying to temper your expectations
    1. And under no circumstances do you want to list a game Jam as a separate experience.  It's really frustrating for recruiters to have a resume past an ATS because it has a title they are looking for, but only to find out they held that position for less than 24-36 hours. 
  16. If you have any more experiences, be they volunteer or professional add them, we want to see you can hold a regular non games job.  
  17. A thing I'd ask, is what did you do with, or mean with listing "Oracle"  under Software, as someone who's worked for, and used Oracle EBS, it's not really related to games at all. (as far as I know) When I was at  Oracle, and I wanted to take a week off for GDC, my manager asked if there was any Oracle angel, meaning if I could find a business justification for attending the conference, suggesting that if I could, he'd consider redirecting resources to maybe expense it, or maybe even have a booth. I thought and thought, but couldn't come up with any relationship between Oracle products and direct relationship/ benefit to the games industry or benefit to Oracle. (maybe I missed something?)

Our company homepage:

https://honorgames.co/

My New Book!:

https://booklocker.com/books/13011.html

You need a demo reel or a portfolio link. Having links to the games is nice, but some large popular companies want to see what you can do with a button click.

Yup, bad idea to put all your personal info on the public web. But whatever, it's a link to your site not posted here on the site.

Programmers generally don't have a video demo reel, but it is somewhat common to have a portfolio of projects on the web site. You have that, and they look reasonable.

For the CV, since you are in the UK there are regional differences. In the US I would recommend you eliminate the "skills" section, and use the space to describe what you did in your courses that are transferable to the job.  You have a section incorrectly named "Experience".  That is shorthand for "Work Experience" which means "somebody paid you a regular wage to do this work every day."  Those are personal projects, which should be used as the section name. You have "Work Experience" later on the page which is used correctly.

Intern and junior positions are relatively rare. You need to be looking at the same time that a local company happens to have a need. The few companies who hire them don't hire them legally as intern roles because of the legal requirements, instead they hire them as a junior developer over the summer or for a short contract.  Legally, "interns" need to not do work that replaces a regular job, and they need to be supervised about the same as if they were a student, and in exchange they can be unpaid or paid less than the minimum wage. Generally it should also be affiliated with a school.

Overall what you have looks reasonable for an entry-level programmer. The next barriers are simultaneous needs (you applying for the job at the same time a local company is looking for a worker), then being the best candidate among all those who are interviewed. Small studios are generally the best work environments but they rarely hire junior level or intern workers. Larger companies may hire a few entry level workers for a large project, but you're looking at perhaps one in twenty or one in fifty. The jobs are far easier to find if you have some connections within the industry who can put your name out to their teams and team leaders. They may be able to create the position if they were thinking about the role due to pressure but have not actually started hiring yet. That is the most effective way to get a job; I've read that working your social connections is about 9x more effective than basic applications directly through the company.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement