How popular is gamedev.net?

Started by
5 comments, last by mychii 5 years, 7 months ago

Guys, what's the hold up? It's falling. ?

Untitled-1.jpg.e22743795d03f83af6b03df0a6612d2b.jpg

Advertisement

I'm not sure how those numbers are derived, and I'm not able to disclose our own numbers (@khawk may or may not have more to say), but the data I've seen is basically the opposite of that: registrations and activity are both steadily increasing.

Just watching the activity feed, you can see there's plenty of active conversation going on. New questions being posted, answers given, plenty of blogging, etc. :)

The Lounge specifically seems a bit quieter after we recently excluded it from the front page activity feed, but otherwise the community seems very healthy.

- Jason Astle-Adams

I see, good to know. I thought there might be a crash or somethin. Maybe cause the lounge community moved to Discord somehow? ?

Alexa is not as reliable of an indicator as it used to be. Also, as a relative indicator, it's a comparison against all website traffic in the world which discounts a niche site like gamedev.net.

The numbers we have are steady improvement in activity and the highest registration levels in years. So, I don't have an explanation for the Alexa ranking, but Alexa ranking isn't how we gauge our popularity either.

Admin for GameDev.net.

Specifically for game development, it's easily in the top list of this niche. I find people here more mature compared to other dev sites, and i enjoy just lurking around while working on my own problems. I found a few really good tweaks around here over this year, i don't think alexa ranks reflects the data we would need to make a conclusion about the popularity of this site. It has a strong authority, almost immovable

On 10/5/2018 at 11:16 AM, khawk said:

Alexa is not as reliable of an indicator as it used to be. Also, as a relative indicator, it's a comparison against all website traffic in the world which discounts a niche site like gamedev.net.

The numbers we have are steady improvement in activity and the highest registration levels in years. So, I don't have an explanation for the Alexa ranking, but Alexa ranking isn't how we gauge our popularity either.

I agree with that. Good to hear that the registrations keep going on.

On 10/6/2018 at 2:32 AM, Chalpie said:

Specifically for game development, it's easily in the top list of this niche. I find people here more mature compared to other dev sites, and i enjoy just lurking around while working on my own problems. I found a few really good tweaks around here over this year, i don't think alexa ranks reflects the data we would need to make a conclusion about the popularity of this site. It has a strong authority, almost immovable

It is indeed the oldest one I know and well moderated.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement