how is character creation usually done?

Started by
9 comments, last by datagkc 5 years, 5 months ago
23 minutes ago, ObjectivityGuy said:

yes that is what i meant, but how do i do it on blender do i use shapekeys and morph targets or what?

I think that's how it's usually done. I managed to set this in Blender using drivers, and it kind of worked, then exported this as "shape key" data and did vertex morphing in my engine. Proof of concept worked, I think it poses a lot of challenges when it comes to armour because armour has to scale with the body properly, which I think means you have the same amount of sliders and you work with 2 extremes for armour too? For face it's probably more suitable to use bones instead of morph targets.

Where are we and when are we and who are we?
How many people in how many places at how many times?
Advertisement
26 minutes ago, lawnjelly said:

There's probably a lot of ways of doing this, especially clothes, and it will be highly dependent on what engine you are using, what are you using? Just to give an example (which may not help too much) in my jungle game I was creating simple native variations by:

• starting with a base model, boning and skinning as usual in blender,
  • then I duplicate the mesh and modify it to get extremes (fat, thin, muscular etc) without change the vertex count / connectivity, only modifying the positions of vertices (you may also be able to help do this with shapekeys, it is a while since I used them so I cannot vouch for this)
  • Then export each of these skins,
  • and in the engine you can either pre-blend between them by relative weights, or do it on the fly in game.
  • I also do a mix and match of texture UV islands from a set of similar UV maps with different clothes etc.
  • You may also be able to blend between different blend weighted rigs, which might help in some situations - I didn't do this

If you are relying on a third party engine, first call would be to see whether it has direct support for this kind of thing (or an addon), if not you may have to add support yourself, which may be challenging to attempt if you are really a beginner.

i'm using unity, im looking mostly for ways to change the face and hairstyle, changing the body wouldn't be bad but its optional

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement