Demo Reels for programmers.

Started by
5 comments, last by WolfHound Coder 5 years, 6 months ago

Hi GameDev.net,

I am putting together a demo reel for a job application to an entry level position. I'm a programmer.

The company I'm applying to is asking for demo reel instead of a link to my games.

Sounds like they want to see what you can do at the click of a button.

I'm not sure how I should peice my games together (about 6-7 tech demos/arcade games). And how long they want it to be.

Right now I'm aiming for 5 minutes showcasing the sexiest parts of the games, programming wise.

I can show less sexy gameplay made from scratch, or technical demos, like a 3D renderer made from scratch.

Or more sexy gameplay made from an engine like untiy3d. But its basically going to say I can do advanced level scripting.

Has anyone done a demo reel for a company as a programmer? How did you go about it?

Thanks,

Wolfhound

Advertisement

I'm curious to know this myself, because I've always assumed that it's impossible for Programmers to really have a Demo Reel that'd show off our skills.

9 minutes ago, PocketNerd said:

I'm curious to know this myself, because I've always assumed that it's impossible for Programmers to really have a Demo Reel that'd show off our skills.

Well, I guess I hit google, dug around, and found some. I guess this is enough to get some of these guys a job, or work with a higher level team. Still curious for an answer of people's experiences or advice. Looks like some of these guys did not have a chance to work on a project that actually passed the finish line.

https://vimeo.com/155056906

Also found a podcast here.

https://www.gameindustrycareerguide.com/what-should-i-put-into-my-video-game-programming-portfolio/

I'm thinking a 2-minute reel is best. They actually need to be wowed in the first 30 seconds.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

The first time i ever heard of a demo-reel.

This is much better than my video-showcase of ~60 minutes ;) Also you can show off your video-editing skills this way. Awesome, i think i will may make one for my next job application.

)

9 hours ago, Finalspace said:

i think i will may make one for my next job application.

Lead with your newest stuff for sure. I loved the fluid simulation. Blew my mind, have been meaning to do that, but there is always more to learn.

Mine is 7:15 minutes. Longer than I hoped, but now I have one up.

The first thing about demo-reel is actually having one to show off.

Mine doesn't have music, over all the games, I wanted to show I put some thought into audio. I try to put at least one sound effect and some music on most into my demos. That open source music.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement