What is the best video game HUD ever?

Started by
8 comments, last by 3drendering 5 years, 5 months ago

Hi there,

I'm working on the hud for our Unity Game Jam Video Game. Our game is a third person shooter in a scifi world. I am looking for new concept ideas about the best hud you know. I really like the Overwatch Hud, but I'm searching for something a little bit more scary (it's not a terror video game, but some kind of).

Any suggestion/recommendation?

Join us on Discord: https://discord.gg/PPAed7Z

Advertisement

Best is relative, but I think, for a horror/sci-fi/FPS, you could take a look at Dead Space. The HUD is minimal and integrated to the character (amno counter is in the weapon, health is show in his armor). For a FPS, you could add a health monitor to the wrist of the character, changing color and animation according to the damage taken, or showing the current status with a keypress. To make it a little scarier, you could show blood on his hands and weapon, and convey that with the hand movements and sound (not HUD related, but it helps).

11 minutes ago, TerraSkilll said:

Best is relative, but I think, for a horror/sci-fi/FPS, you could take a look at Dead Space. The HUD is minimal and integrated to the character (amno counter is in the weapon, health is show in his armor). For a FPS, you could add a health monitor to the wrist of the character, changing color and animation according to the damage taken, or showing the current status with a keypress. To make it a little scarier, you could show blood on his hands and weapon, and convey that with the hand movements and sound (not HUD related, but it helps).

Oh, I love it! How couldn't think about Dead Space Hud? Do you know if minimap appears, too? It will be necessary for the tactical mechanic.

I personally do not like when meters etc (giving important information) is wowen into the scene so it's not always easy to read. It may be neat to have it in baked into "real stuff" but please do not frustrate the player.

Another thing to avoid is ui that popups and hides given what the situation is. Commonly hiding combat ui like ammo, items etc when you are not in combat, forcing the player to shoot at nothing to find out important information.

These are the things I would AVOID. How to make the best UI is a much harder question to answer of course :) If style is more important than gameplay, you can take the "baked into real stuff" pretty far obviously.

35 minutes ago, Esteban5XG said:

Oh, I love it! How couldn't think about Dead Space Hud? Do you know if minimap appears, too? It will be necessary for the tactical mechanic. 

I don't remember now. But, if the game has a tactical component, it would be harder to integrate to the scene. Maps generally have a lot of info, that might overwhelm the player. The game is heavilly tactical? Or is it more fast paced?

For a slower game, you could look also to Alien Isolation.

17 minutes ago, suliman said:

I personally do not like when meters etc (giving important information) is wowen into the scene so it's not always easy to read. It may be neat to have it in baked into "real stuff" but please do not frustrate the player.

I agree. My suggestion was under the scope of sci-fi/FPS that Esteban5XG. But those kinds of HUDs are harder to get right. The Dead Space one is very simple (just amno and health) and that helps a lot. But if more information is neeeded o screen all the time, this does not scale well.

1 hour ago, suliman said:

Another thing to avoid is ui that popups and hides given what the situation is. Commonly hiding combat ui like ammo, items etc when you are not in combat, forcing the player to shoot at nothing to find out important information.

These are the things I would AVOID. How to make the best UI is a much harder question to answer of course :) If style is more important than gameplay, you can take the "baked into real stuff" pretty far obviously.

Thanks for the advice. Right now I'm just looking for the look&feel, the visual style. But it's really good to know things to avoid while designing the hud. I want something visually cool and well constructed from the gameplay.

1 hour ago, TerraSkilll said:

I don't remember now. But, if the game has a tactical component, it would be harder to integrate to the scene. Maps generally have a lot of info, that might overwhelm the player. The game is heavilly tactical? Or is it more fast paced?

For a slower game, you could look also to Alien Isolation.

I agree. My suggestion was under the scope of sci-fi/FPS that Esteban5XG. But those kinds of HUDs are harder to get right. The Dead Space one is very simple (just amno and health) and that helps a lot. But if more information is neeeded o screen all the time, this does not scale well.

It's not like a full map. It might work as a radar, in order to know where the enemies are, and so the player can play with RTT. I think the Dead Space example is really cool. Have you got another example?

On 11/13/2018 at 2:25 AM, Esteban5XG said:

Hi there,

I'm working on the hud for our Unity Game Jam Video Game. Our game is a third person shooter in a scifi world. I am looking for new concept ideas about the best hud you know. I really like the Overwatch Hud, but I'm searching for something a little bit more scary (it's not a terror video game, but some kind of).

Any suggestion/recommendation?

The ultimate doom hud, now that is a great hud. Its a first person view of the inside of a helmet. Its also comes with a flash light on the side of it. 

2 hours ago, DoomGuy said:

The ultimate doom hud, now that is a great hud. Its a first person view of the inside of a helmet. Its also comes with a flash light on the side of it. 

I'll take a look. But it could be different because I want a third person shooter.

I want to know more about this too... I am currently learning on building game model now. 

I love game design and I do my own 3d rendering for games 

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement