Composing for Games

Started by
6 comments, last by Jonny Royall 5 years ago

Hi everyone.

Thrilled to have signed up to your awesome Gamedev community! 

I'm a musician, composer and game enthusiast. I've now reached a confident stage with my compositions and was wondering if I could get any advice on the compositions themselves, and also where to go to get them published for games as my networking skills need improving!

Here are the tracks I have so far... 

Looking forward to hearing from you! :)

Jonny

Advertisement

Jonny,

I'm looking forward to hearing, but it looks like you posted a playlist without any tracks in it. Check your Soundcloud and see if you uploaded the songs without adding them to the playlist!

Ada Maskil Game Soundtrack Composer maskil.ada@gmail.com https://ada-maskil.wixsite.com/home

Hi Ada,

Ahh yes thanks I literally changed it from private to public today. Do you know how/if i can edit the post to change the link? Thanks for letting me know!

If not here's the new one...

Your original post updated! You can edit any of your posts, if you want.. I don't really think you need to though. Under your typed comments you'll see an edit button if you want to adjust anything. Glad to be of help.

Ada

Ada Maskil Game Soundtrack Composer maskil.ada@gmail.com https://ada-maskil.wixsite.com/home

Thanks again!

Just had a listen to your music on your website. 

Love it!

Thanks Jonny,

Sorry I meant to come back to listen through all your songs but got busy for a few hours. I Really like Broken Landscape, really nice build up. At the halfway point when I first heard that flute, I was thinking I wanted to hear more and expected it to just be in the background, but it was a good way to build on the song and bring in more elements. Infiltrate made me think of Xenoblade, or something similar breaking into an enemy base.

I'd say my favorite is Distant Land, it is very emotional and has a really nice slow development to it, very much my style of music ??. When I listened to it though, I think I was waiting for the melody to come back on the plucked strings.. but that's just a personal preference. Or maybe I would bring one more element in at the climax just past halfway. Or maybe I am way off, and you wanted that slow ease off feeling rather than a real climax, depending on the setting in a game, that would be great too.

For sure you've got some good stuff here, all the other songs each have a nice element that would fit well in a variety of game genres. I think overall, your mixing is well done, a couple nice melodies that I returned to listen to a few times. Being here is a good start to trying to get your name out. Make friends, future business contacts. Soundcloud is a great place for game developers to hear your music.

The only bit of advice I can offer, feel free to ignore it if you disagree.. Marketing yourself with a focus in mind. You want to show how versatile you can be, while still showing that you have a distinct style to your compositions. It's a never-ending cycle, but since your songs are really well polished and you obviously have a lot of musical talent, thought I would give you something to think about. Thanks again, I really enjoyed those songs.

Hi Ada,

Thanks for you critique and I'm glad you enjoyed my work!

I really enjoy your style too!

All the best

Jonny

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement