My idea for a beat em up action adventure type game

Started by
29 comments, last by Lendrigan Games 5 years, 1 month ago
3 hours ago, Peanutsage said:

What are some good inspirations I can use for character ideas to fit each playstyle?

Shakespeare? Ancient Egyptian demigods? Mixed fantasy? Scooby Doo... Would you like us to start drawing concept art for you as well?

My vote would be for 3D. Pushing this genre into 3D/2.5D actually makes it interesting (for me)

Advertisement
59 minutes ago, GoliathForge said:

Shakespeare? Ancient Egyptian demigods? Mixed fantasy? Scooby Doo... Would you like us to start drawing concept art for you as well?

My vote would be for 3D. Pushing this genre into 3D/2.5D actually makes it interesting (for me)

Noo but I do like some of those ideas, maybe I can mix up something to that effect :P

That will probably work since that would play closer to more popular genres right? 

I'm sorry for all these questions, I just want to really put in the effort to make this as varied as possible and actually have my game a contender in the gaming market one day and not just as a scrolling indie game. I look at 3d/2.5d vs fighting games today and I could maybe do something like that similar for my beat em up with the graphics and gameplay speed only a side scroller not a vs game.

What I love about Streets of Rage and Final Fight is their variety of characters, enemies and bosses. everything from ninjas, samurais, sumos, pro wrestlers, street thugs, men in black with guns, some supernatural stuff and much more. I was told putting all that in one game could make it worse but I don't see why it would if it worked for those games and they were very popular right?

Here's the deal with that question.

What is gonna make the work of creating a 3d game better than a 2.5d game? Most 3d beat'em up games in my opinion are just 2.5d games with 3d models. How could you take advantage of the z-axis? You've gotta figure it out. I'm not giving you more freebie ideas.

Couldn't I work it out somehow in full 3d using VR?

I don't know. You go try, see how it works. I program 2d stuff because I find dealing with kinematic physics distracts from actually working on the game rules and algorithms that I think actually make a good game.

19 hours ago, Davicus said:

What is gonna make the work of creating a 3d game better than a 2.5d game?

18 hours ago, Peanutsage said:

Couldn't I work it out somehow in full 3d using VR?

I think there's an important distinction between essential game design and artistic challenges, like "fun" combat in plausible and good looking environments, and self-inflicted hurdles, like VR instead of a 2.5D sprite engine and multiple varied playing characters before one good player character.

Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

But it seems like the 2.5d side scrollers or 2d games don't seem to sell as much as the big 3d titles, why is that?

The "big 3d titles" sell so much because of their aggressive and aggressively powered advertising campaigns.  There are more and nuanced market factors, but that's one of the clear and undeniable ones.  Rayman Origins notwithstanding, 2D/2.5D games are made exclusively by smaller teams with a lot less money to throw into advertising.

The AAA 3D games, however, have a problem that smaller 2D games don't have; they -have- to sell massive amounts of copies.  Battlefield 5 sold 7 million copies, but that wasn't enough to meet the quota that EA had set for it.  For smaller games, selling 50,000 copies is usually a decent success because the cost of a smaller team takes fewer sales to recoup.

Is currently working on a rpg/roguelike
Dungeons Under Gannar
Devblog

So what I might do is first work on a 2.5d beat em up just to get myself the proper experience. I can see how far that goes and if it's a success. 

So what would make a successful beat em up into a big 3d title? Would making it an action game like DMC with some fighting mechanics? Surely it wouldn't work having a 2 or 4 player co- op in 3rd person right? So a story focus 3rd person campaign like DMC5 where it's the single player action experience and have like a special free for all 4 player co- op unlockable mode with a 4 split screen like King of The Hill Halo with multiple enemies to fight and playable bosses could work?

I had this idea for a while now.

-Could- it work?  Of course!
-Would- it work?  We have no idea!

These latest questions can be answered only by creating, implementing, and tweaking the given mechanics.

Is currently working on a rpg/roguelike
Dungeons Under Gannar
Devblog

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement