Choose a game genre by spining a wheel?

Started by
6 comments, last by Timeline Games 4 years, 7 months ago

I had this strange idea to create five small games in 5 different genres (runner, rts, driving, tower defense and sniper game) and let a player choose by spinning a wheel at the beginning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbeZ1qHVNYo

Then the player can play 3 games from the five genres by having 3 spins and the collected points can be compared on a leader board.

It might be too much for most players since not anyone likes multiple genres but the games are very easy and simple. Just an arcade for Android.

Anyone tried that anywhere?

s1.png

Advertisement

Personally, when I'm in the mood to play a game I generally have a specific genre or style or something in mind and I don't tend to want a randomizer making the selection for me. Where the exception to that might be is if I'm in the mood for something like Mario Party. There's fun elements other than the mini-games that bind the whole thing together whether that's the social aspect, the IP, or the game within the game.

ok. well. it is just an experiment. these are 5 various genres but each made very simple arcade style. at least i tried.

If you release anything into the wilds for the masses to play, you've done something that I have not. Don't base the value of your project on criticism (which I meant to be constructive) from just one person. I am only letting you know my personal thoughts and experiences when deciding on what game to install and play. And that, for me, if there's maybe one or two games that I'm hoping to play but I'm faced with playing one of the others, it may be a barrier to me playing at all. I would rather have an option to choose a specific game at least as practice with maybe another option to try a random selection of 3 for the high score attempt.

Also, I didn't notice the link to the video before (it takes effort and attention to click those things). Seeing the game in action, I do think you have a nice set of mini-games. Although I don't think their style compared to the style of the wheel in your screenshot quite goes together. The wheel as the sole screenshot doesn't give me real insight into what your game is like.

It also has just occurred to me that you may have been just hoping to promote your project rather than looking for criticisms or discussions about it. If that's the case, a blog post or a new thread in the Your Announcements section would be the way to go.

Good luck on your project.

I would just say that making ONE good game is hard enough. Split it into 5 different and that seems like an unnecessary complication for you as a developer. And as previously stated, when I want to play I normally know what I want to play, I dont want anyone else to just decide for me what to play :)

Mario Party does exactly this.

I do like the idea, but if you want this for the central mechanic and you don't plan on doing it on a sort of board system ( like mario party ) I feel like the player should have some influence over the options on the wheel, so the player could play something they might really want to play. Of course they don't have to pick every option, but they could pick a theme and then the wheel generates mini games based on that theme ( options for themes could also be randomized i guess, like you have only 3 options at a time )

But ... that's just my option,I do feel like you should try and experiment with this premise to see what you come up with. 

Timeline Games

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement