Any challenges for August?

Started by
3 comments, last by Vilem Otte 4 years, 2 months ago

August is coming up and I was wondering if there are GameDev challenges planned? :D

Programmer and 3D Artist

Advertisement

Yes, no, and maybe. :)

One of the reasons I'm lagging on starting a new challenge is because the new site design is close. But I am also reaching a point where it may be better to start the challenge anyway.

But maybe this is a good time to talk about the changes to Challenges on the new site. This should probably be a blog post, but maybe this can be an Easter egg for those who explore the site a little bit. Note: these screenshots are from test data.

To start, Challenges will be their own area and menu item on the new site. They will no longer be a Group:

screenshot-dev.gamedev.net-2019.07.30-22_46_37.png

Each challenge will have its own challenge page. Much like the blog entries in the Challenge group, the Challenge page will include the challenge description, start and end date, and the Challengers.

Any member can sign up to be a Challenger. You do this by clicking the "Join the Challenge" button.

screenshot-localhost_8000-2019.07.30-22_50_43.png

When you join the challenge, your slightly grayed out profile pic shows in the Challengers list. Members who have completed the challenge will lose the grayed out and earn a star.

Most fun is submitting the challenge. Here you can see a test page for challenge submission:

screenshot-localhost_8000-2019.07.30-22_53_07.png

Your challenge is not accepted until you complete all the items required for credit. We'll add safeguards to prevent bad submissions.

This is just a tease of course and is completely off-topic from the question. But it's relevant. ;) The goal is to make it easier to manage the challenges, for members to still participate in older challenges (and get some credit), and for some members to actually be able to present their own challenges.

For now, I do think it's valuable to carry on into August with another challenge and to bring it over to the new system if it's ready halfway through. Should we run another poll to get it started?

p.s. While these screenshots are light themed, if you prefer dark theme you can get that too.

Admin for GameDev.net.

Wow, I'm really looking forward to the new site and system!

Programmer and 3D Artist

@khawk I know this is a bit of necromancy, and that you must be quite busy fixing bugs reported for the new site - to the question though - what is the status of challenges on new site?

My current blog on programming, linux and stuff - http://gameprogrammerdiary.blogspot.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement