I can't find an artist, why?

Started by
37 comments, last by theANMATOR 4 years, 8 months ago

venzuela is where she is from. crypto is the only thing that works there now

Advertisement
10 hours ago, Magogan said:

there is no real asset list.

You should create one. You'll be ready to go when you find an artist.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

17 hours ago, Magogan said:

I know. But other people find hobby artists all the time it seems, even for games that are at the idea stage, i.e. just ideas. But I can't find anyone even at this stage. I don't understand that.

They look for collaborators, there is a chance to find someone who'd like to work on exactly the same kind of game. The "Idea stage" is the most interesting for these people. (Most of these collaboration end after time wasting brainstorming talks).

You look for labor worker, unpaid. Imagine someone would offer you to work on their cooking simulator game. All art and the game design document are settled. It will be done in Unity3D. You only need to be programming it half a year, for rev share, of course. Does that sound better to you than to work on your own game?

The decision hierarchy/chain would be: 1. They would rather work on their own art. 2. They would work on some more polished/existing game. 3. They would work on your game.

Hence, until your game offers really something beyond other games, it will be hard for you to find someone. Maybe you already have something beyond? Then sell/advertise it like it was Minecraft 2.

Thank you for the advice, tayetex!

I had no problems finding someone when I was able to pay for it - and so far it went well every time. But I don't have any money left. Ideally, I would find an investor but I'll probably win the lottery before that happens.

I have found Guy Fleegman here who seems to really like the game and wants to help me. I guess you need to be really lucky to find someone who loves voxel art that much to help for free or for a revenue share.

35 minutes ago, tayetex said:

Maybe you can offer something that is not money: maybe some programming time

Yeah, I thought about offering my programming instead of paying money, but I already have very limited time and I need to make money to live, so spending some time on someone else's project is probably not the best idea. And I'd have to find someone who works on a voxel/pixel graphics game as an artist and needs a programmer, that's quite rare I guess.

35 minutes ago, tayetex said:

Pheww... I didn't intend to make a post so long, but I hope it can help you and other project leaders looking for artists. Good luck!

It was very helpful, thanks!

I have created a separate thread HERE with my answer to the post above.

https://www.pinterest.es/tayete/tayetes-portfolio/

On 8/11/2019 at 7:15 AM, Magogan said:

I can't pay a salary unfortunately

This - the only artists you will attract with the rev. share approach are rookie artists who just want some portfolio examples.  But here's the thing - an artist can create voxel art without you.  It is plainly - one of the most simple things to create in 3D, so why have a project manager type person (you), when the artist can do whatever he wants on his own.

On 8/11/2019 at 7:15 AM, Magogan said:

for a voxel game

As stated above - voxel art is quite easy and from the artist perspective - quite boring to create.  Even creating animations for voxel art is boring. 

On 8/11/2019 at 10:37 AM, Guy Fleegman said:

It could also be the way you're trying to recruit, to be honest. You have to sell an artist on your game just as much as they have to sell their skills to you.

This is a good suggestion.  Consider advertising for 1st year artists, and allow the artist to use whatever software he is comfortable using.  All art packages can export the needed files png/tga/obj/3ds/fbx/etc so don't limit the tools the artist can use.

You might also consider looking for two 1st year artists, one for texture work and the other for animations.  Most rookie artists aren't particularly good in multiple areas.  They might be a great skinner/texture artist, but marginal at best creating animations, and vis-versa.

Look to bring on two artists - one for skinning/texturing and one for rigging/animation. 

The animations can be created with untextured art, so the process isn't linear, if you get a rookie animator - put him to work and later get the textures applied when you find a texture painter.

Hope this helps.

3 minutes ago, theANMATOR said:

But here's the thing - an artist can create voxel art without you.  It is plainly - one of the most simple things to create in 3D, so why have a project manager type person (you), when the artist can do whatever he wants on his own.

But doesn't that apply to all kind of art? Well, except that other kinds of art are not as easy.

5 minutes ago, theANMATOR said:

allow the artist to use whatever software he is comfortable using.  All art packages can export the needed files png/tga/obj/3ds/fbx/etc so don't limit the tools the artist can use.

It's not that easy, I'm using textured voxels so people have to use my editor for some parts of the creation process.

8 minutes ago, theANMATOR said:

You might also consider looking for two 1st year artists, one for texture work and the other for animations.  Most rookie artists aren't particularly good in multiple areas.  They might be a great skinner/texture artist, but marginal at best creating animations, and vis-versa.

The thing is I was not finding a single artist. Now I have found Guy Fleegman through this topic and I'm hoping to find someone else so the two can complement each other.

12 minutes ago, theANMATOR said:

Hope this helps.

Yes, it does, but I'm still struggling to find more artists. I hope I can just make some money to pay someone, that would be much easier. So far I still made $0 for 5 years of work, which is about $0 per hour I've worked.

5 hours ago, Magogan said:

But doesn't that apply to all kind of art? Well, except that other kinds of art are not as easy.

What I mean here is - voxel engines are a dime a dozen.  Any artist could use a drag/drop/wiswig editor to make anything they want.  They don't really need to sign onto a project with a manager who will dictate what they can do and what they can't. 

9 hours ago, Magogan said:

It's not that easy, I'm using textured voxels so people have to use my editor for some parts of the creation process.

Sure - that is understandable and expected - most engines have some input that artists need to use in order to put the content into the world.  What I mean here is - let them create art with which ever art package they prefer.  Making an artist use blender will reduce the number of artists that will want to assist.  You didn't state this - I'm just saying - any artist should be allowed to use whichever content creation tool they want.  It falls on you to give them direction on how to confirm to importing into your engine, and setting up the assets.

It's a little against terms/service - but there are a lot of artists floating around in the unreal & unity forums.

I worked on several projects that weren't in those engines - but was 'recruited'  through those forums.  Might consider looking into those places, but exclude the engine details about your project in the job listings.  

Most artists don't really care much - which engine the game runs in.    :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement