What Should We Avoid in the Industry?

Started by
12 comments, last by Nypyren 4 years, 7 months ago
23 minutes ago, Dawoodoz said:

5) Avoid Brogrammer culture at all costs.

23 minutes ago, Dawoodoz said:

(5) Some C++ programmers really do say bro a lot. Ask them why something's dangerous in their framework even thou safety would have zero overhead, then it's a trap left on purpose to intentionally scare off noobs (the rest of the company).

Sorry, but that makes no sense to me. It certainly does not respond to Dawoodoz's advice (which is very good). Bro gamer culture is pure poison.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Advertisement

Since you're a co-owner of a software start-up:
* Don't take in volunteers for anything else than fixing bugs. Training them costs time and they will leave when the fun part is over.
* Don't hire too many, because productivity goes down quickly with version conflicts, poor communication and middle management. Focus on a core team of multi-talented developers that have a skill for each part of the development cycle.
* Don't ask them if everything's fine before giving an anonymous channel for constructive feedback. Don't give leading yes/no questions. Ask what the biggest concern is. Otherwise they will say the polite standard phrase and hide their frustration until resigning.
* Don't take the fun tasks yourself. Give them to new developers as a welcome gift that leaves a good first impression.
* Don't be biased when hiring. It gives a bad reputation and increases initial salary demands.
* Don't post jobs unless you're sure that you'll hire someone. Each interview costs money so make up your mind quickly.
* Don't hire people with too many big companies on their resume. They seek prestige and are a bad influence for juniors.
* Don't sell a feature before asking RnD if it's possible to make.
* Never hire a boss who isn't educated in leadership. Train bosses ahead of time and stop hiring juniors if there's not enough seniors to guide them.

37 minutes ago, Tom Sloper said:

Sorry, but that makes no sense to me. It certainly does not respond to Dawoodoz's advice (which is very good). Bro gamer culture is pure poison.

I said what?

• Avoid static variables.
  • Avoid the Noid.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement