MSVC7 non-compliance list

Started by
40 comments, last by Shannon Barber 22 years, 2 months ago
quote:
-----------------------------------------------------------------

VC++ 7.0 does support template template parameters but it does not support partial specializations. The next version of Visual C++ will contain a highly conformant C++ compiler that will support partial specializations, partial ordering, and a host of modern C++ class libraries, like Boost.

We are very confident that this compiler will be released (much) sooner rather than later - i.e. you will definitely not have to wait 3 years for this release.

--
Jonathan Caves
Microsoft Corporation

-----------------------------------------------------------------

So in other words, please buy VC++ 7.0 soon because we are going to replacing it within a year and fleece you for another wad of cash. Maybe I''ll stick with version 6 for now !

Stephen

Advertisement
From what I''ve put together (some fact, some speculation), MSVC7 was actually rushed.

1) They needed to have it working before they send out X-Box SDKs to their X-Box developers. They wanted a compiler better optimized for the Pentium 3, so they decided that they needed to update VisualC++.

2) They also had to add managed extensions to it so that .NET programs could be written in C++. I''m not sure, but I think the low-level parts of the framework itself are written in Managed C++. If this is true, VC++7 had to be finished a long time ago, because .NET has been in development for a while.

3) They finished what is now version 7, and did not want to change it before the release of VS.NET because they would either have to rush or delay VS.NET (which I think was supposed to be out last fall as it is). The most important parts (to Microsoft) of VS7 are C#, VB.NET, ASP.NET, ADO.NET, and every other .NET thing.

So version 7 could have been better if it had remained separate from VS.NET, but then we''d have both a VC++7 compiler and a VC++.NET compiler, which would be confusing. They could have also released a separate X-Box compiler, but I think they wanted to keep all of it together.

A 7.1 release would be highly possible, especially if it catered to pure C++ programmers.

--TheMuuj
--TheMuuj

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement