Opinions on Unity for 2D Mobile?

Started by
3 comments, last by Zurtan 4 years, 5 months ago

I'm looking to make a 2D mobile game but want some opinons on what to use for it. I'm mainly a programmer and am comfortable with Unity, but I don't want to sink hours of work into something which could be done easier on another engine or even just Android Studio/XCode. What is Unity like for this use case?

Advertisement

scripting wise, could use work.  Quality wise, absolutely epic.  Input wise, great.  Animation wise, very frustrating.  Performance wise, very smooth.  Effort wise, intermidiate.  In summary, pretty great except animation and transforms.

I am an indie game developer who enjoys pixel art games.

4 hours ago, Manyula said:

...or even just Android Studio/XCode.

If you mean just working directly with the iOS and Android APIs without using a cross-platform engine or framework, I'd be very surprised if that turned out to be any easier than using Unity. (Even if you're already familiar with developing for iOS and Android, it seems likely that using Unity would still be less time-consuming.)

Unity will save you a lot of time and effort, especially if you are making a game.

The biggest issue with Unity I think is that it doesn't have support for native GUI building, as far as I can tell. 

Both iOS and Android have their own tools for making GUI stuff, when using Unity you will probably need to do your own GUI using Unity and miss all the many features iOS and Android offer in the term of GUI.

But if you are making a game, you want game GUI and not App GUI for the most part.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement