Considering a Computer's OS

Started by
4 comments, last by allrts dot com 4 years, 5 months ago

My computer stopped working and would not reset properly (using settings, security.)  The only two options left were an installation media: USB/CD-ROM, or a purchased one computer license (digital program or CD-ROM.)  I noticed that the purchasable computer license has a EULA that basically says if it doesn't work than there is no warranty!  My question is will both the installation media and the purchasable license always work to reinstall a Windows computer OS, or is all of this just doomed after I have spent so much time learning to program?  

The installation media can only be used on one computer (for development.)

Thank you,

Josheir

Advertisement

Modern Windows licensing data is stored in part in a module on the motherboard, not on the hard drives. You should be able to reinstall from USB or DVD media. You can download the Windows Media Creation Tool from Microsoft for free, and it should pick up on your license automatically after installation.

RIP GameDev.net: launched 2 unusably-broken forum engines in as many years, and now has ceased operating as a forum at all, happy to remain naught but an advertising platform with an attached social media presense, headed by a staff who by their own admission have no idea what their userbase wants or expects.Here's to the good times; shame they exist in the past.

Since I can only use this tool once, because of its warranty, how do I reinstall an operating system if I have already used this tool on another pc?

Josheir

Windows 10? Microsoft lets you install it without a valid key for situations like this. Just install it and click "continue" on the key page. 

Yes, once you have the original key, both installation media and the purchasable license always will work when you reinstall a Windows Operational System. But if you use Windows XP (for example) there is no security support anymore, so you will not receive new critical updates.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement