Creating simple music

Started by
2 comments, last by Tom Sloper 4 years, 6 months ago

I have been working on a game for quite a while now and reached a point where I would like to spice it up with some simple background music. I have some knowledge about music so I'd like to create it myself.

Considering that these would pretty basic, I have to asume that the notes have been used in a similar way in one of the million songs out there. Could I run into trouble if e.g some niche platformer I've never heard of used similar sounds before? Is there any way to stay as safe as possible?

I'd really like to know how other creators are dealing with this. Any other tips that come to your mind are also greatly appreciated.

Advertisement
4 minutes ago, CBR89 said:

I have been working on a game for quite a while now and reached a point where I would like to spice it up with some simple background music. I have some knowledge about music so I'd like to create it myself.

Considering that these would pretty basic, I have to asume that the notes have been used in a similar way in one of the million songs out there. Could I run into trouble if e.g some niche platformer I've never heard of used similar sounds before? Is there any way to stay as safe as possible?

I'd really like to know how other creators are dealing with this. Any other tips that come to your mind are also greatly appreciated.

I've been off and on with music for a while now and never heard of someone making their own music from scratch and it some how came out matching someone's music note for note, and velocity for velocity, and even tempo as well as instruments being the exact same with the same filters, effects, and compression. There are a lot of similarities within music, so I wouldn't worry. If you're not attempting to copy the chances of you doing so are slim to none by just creating from inspiration alone.

If you're truly worried then seek out a lawyer who handles copyright law regarding musical sheets and sound recording and ask about it.

As someone who makes music off and on I've never even thought about this, and I know many musicians who've never even brought this up, or it even becoming a topic of concern.

Programmer and 3D Artist

CBR89, you should check out the My Sweet Lord / He's So Fine lawsuit. Harrison lost that one, so you should check out both songs and figure out how that happened. Then check out the Stairway To Heaven / Taurus lawsuit. Led Zeppelin won that one, so check out both songs for yourself. 

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement