Google blocking COVID themed games

Started by
5 comments, last by diegoboneta 3 years, 1 month ago

I just had a frustrating experience:

Being stuck at home, with no school for my kids, I decided to create a game with them. It was a simple snake game with corona themed pick ups. (Toilet paper and such).

I had my kids draw up the graphics, and was about to publish (this would be my 5th game on the store).

And I got my app rejected because: “We don't allow apps that lack reasonable sensitivity towards or capitalize on a natural disaster, atrocity, conflict, death, or other tragic event”

This was a simple “snake” game with nothing scary, no ads, and completely free. (Mainly wanted my kids to have “their” game on the store).

I was wondering if anyone else had such an experience. Do you think I should apeal? (They're probably very busy with the covid lockdown and such…)

My Oculus Rift Game: RaiderV

My Android VR games: Time-Rider& Dozer Driver

My browser game: Vitrage - A game of stained glass

My android games : Enemies of the Crown & Killer Bees

Advertisement

Sillycow, Google is saying this is a case of “too soon.” Maybe they'll let up after there are vaccines for everyone and it's truly over.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

I think that Google Play Store doesn't allow such applications anymore (I'm quite sure they have changed the rules early in March).

I wonder if my nuclear fission reactor simulator, I once did for Ludum Dare, would pass … (assuming I wouldn't name it offensively like Chernobyl simulator, it really should … because thinking about it large group of games are containing a form of some disaster).

My current blog on programming, linux and stuff - http://gameprogrammerdiary.blogspot.com

Update: I changed the name and the icons to remove any mention of the virus. The game is basically a shopping cart chasing toilet paper and alcogel (although I don't mention alcogel by name [it could be a bottle of anything] ).

The app was still rejected on the same grounds.

I think google is taking censorship too far. Starting to remind me of Apple…

(This is all free, no ads, and no intent to make money)

SillyCow, no kids whose grandma or grandpa died from covid-19 is going to want to play your game.

I'm sure Google finds your game to be in poor taste at a time when people are living in fear of dying. I don't disagree with Google.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Tom Sloper said:

SillyCow, no kids whose grandma or grandpa died from covid-19 is going to want to play your game.

I'm sure Google finds your game to be in poor taste at a time when people are living in fear of dying. I don't disagree with Google.

While I agree that some people might take offence. I don't think that having a shopping cart chase toilet-paper directly links to their unimaginably painful experience ( or makes any reference to it ). I agree that the game might be in “poor taste”. It's definitely not in “good taste”. It's my kids' taste, and no kid's taste is particularly refined: They were making a reference to their parents' stories of going to the supermarket.
BTW: To avoid any Complications, I marked this game as “not for kids”. I think I flagged it as “13 & up” (even though my kids are not 13).

But that's sort-of why I don't like overly-censored platforms. While I do see how some people might still find this offensive, I think I kept it far enough away from the subject where people who do not download it, would not be affected by it. There are no references to the effects of the disease itself, or any of the horrors that it caused. I also do not spread any fake news or tragedies. It's mostly a “satire” on the disruption to shallow consumerism, if I had to analyse it.

I also realise that the google store is privately owned, and they have a right to impose any policies that they wish. However, I assumed that they would be more leaning towards “freedom of expression”.

Anyway I hope that I did not offend anyone with my post here. I wish good health (and job security ) to all of you and your loved ones.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement