Biology stuff

Started by
8 comments, last by Calin 3 years, 1 month ago

I was wandering, they say our body old cells die and new ones are born, if that`s true what happens to the dead cells? Poo is just food is that correct? Also why does chronical disease exist?, the cells of an organ are replaced entirely throughout its lifetime.

My project`s facebook page is “DreamLand Page”

Advertisement

AFAIK dead blood cells are reason why poop is brown and dead skin cells fall off you, not sure about rest.

Consider asking on some biology forum

Mearsu said:
dead skin cells fall off you, not sure about rest.

It becomes dust, and so gives work for our vacuum cleaners.

Learned this in some action B-movie, not sure if correct.

It becomes dust

yeah, that's what I meant, English isn't my native language

@Calin When cells replicate, mutations can occur. A mutation is a mistake when DNA is copied during cell division. Sometimes the mutations are beneficial, as in the case of the new Covid variants. Most of the time they're not, and the offspring are less fit. Mutations can accumulate to the point the cell dies. There's also structures called telomeres on chromosomes that shorten when cells divides. Shorter telomeres also make cells less fit and likely to expire. There's ongoing research looking into ways to lengthen telomeres in hopes of reversing aging. Also, some cells are immortal. I think these are often stem cells or cancerous cells (look up HeLa cells) .

Is this question related to a game somehow?

scott8 said:
When cells replicate, mutations can occur.

Adding related question: Do we know if such random mutations and millions of years are enough to evolve advanced species? Or is there some feedback from the experience of the organisms life affecting its genome stuff as well?

Mutations may be random, but evolution is not. The idea of evolution being random is often used by creationists and the scientifically ignorant to argue against evolution. Evolution's goal isn't to produce advanced species, it's to produce fit species. From an evolutionary standpoint, insects and bacteria may be more fit than humans. To answer your second question: I don't think there's anything an organism can do to alter and improve its genes. It may be possible to affect the expression of genes you already have. I'm not a biologist or geneticist ?

That's much more assumption, opinion, and nit picking than knowledge i guess, but fine. ; )

scott8 Im not a biologist, ( thats why Im asking questions) but when you talk evolution you dont need to be. The main problem is that the evolution theory conflicts with the fact that DNA degrades when you dont have biological diversity. `Good` features cant be preserved/transmitted because of this. The so called `fit individuals can`t affect the futures of a species because if the DNA is not well mixed between all individuals making a species then that will result in sickness and poor DNA (and eventually death of the species)

My project`s facebook page is “DreamLand Page”

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement