project put on hold or canceled, what went wrong? postmodem.

Started by
8 comments, last by ROGRat 2 years, 12 months ago

Hello

So I co lead a small 10 person team. About 2 months ago I tried to spin up a new project. It would require a 2d artist and a programmer.

we got 2 programmers and a 2d artist. We had the design docs partially done. we had me on the team as the manager, also had a writer, and an Art director.

We did not have our lead coder from the main team join, but he decided to help out a little.

There where a few red flags in the beginning,. One of which was that the project was started out of Boredom.

But there were issues with each of the 3 new members. We had about 3 meetings, once a week. for 30 min to 1 hour.

2D artist- show up more than half an hour late to meetings and forgot last weeks meeting. He did a little bit of art work, but he didn't talk too much. He was also working on comic books for his own thing. Was more casual.

Programmer one - Was a software developer, but had issues with communication and collaboration.

Programmer two- saw the cart before the hoarse. Would ask about how to make the prototype fun before at this early stage, came from a math tutor background. Also had a bit of a grading personality.

Furthermore, they would only communicate during the meetings, no chatter during the week, they wouldn't even log on.

So we had a needing yesterday, and none of them showed up.

The meeting was at 6pm, and the 2d artist showed up at 8pm, saying he thought the meeting was 7:30. By that time, we had removed all 3 of them from the team.

Was I too harsh?

I'm still trying to figure out what I did wrong.

We effectively put the project on hold / canceled it.

Everyone here are volunteers, but this has never happened to me before.

The 2D artist went back and forth with me on text, trying to tell us that we should give him another chance. It got heated and he called me some names.

what do yall think?

Our company homepage:

https://honorgames.co/

My New Book!:

https://booklocker.com/books/13011.html

Advertisement

Meetings are a huge waste of time; a draconian artifact of a bygone era. It pays to write it all in email because you have at hand all that you need to cover your ass.

One of which was that the project was started out of Boredom

I think that's the biggest problem right there. What's the point if nobody is into it? I've had 3 people back out of my project after one or two days. But that's fine in my book. I'd rather wait for someone enthusiastic about it, than have people give a half hearted effort because it's really not their thing. I'll continue to work alone until I find the right folks.

Gnollrunner said:
I'll continue to work alone until I find the right folks

Same here, if you give up just because other people let you hang then you're not spending your heartbeat to it.

GeneralJist said:
Was I too harsh?

I don't know anything about your “company” but in a real busines world, even in my country where people can't get fired that easy without a lawsuit, those people would get 2 strikes and then be kicked out of it without consequences for the owner. So no, they had enougth chances and if they give no effort to do their part, they're not worth to drag them with you all the way.

I honestly see a lot of requests recently, especially in the Discord groups I'm in, that just want to be part of the team to have their names in the finished product with limited or even without any knowledge of the position they request for

GeneralJist said:
I'm still trying to figure out what I did wrong

Maybe you should have spend more expertise in the recruitment process or at least have someone on an expert position who can deal with candidates. This is what I do, I felt to often into people who were hired too early and turned out to be more work to get them convinced than the project profits from. So take your time, make an interview with them and tell them what you expect, what tools you use and maybe also a little test task can help. Doesn't need to be something very complex, 10 Minutes and you'll most of the time see how much effort people bring to your project.

Motivating people can be a realy exhausting task, even in real busines. The key is to have an open ear for your team and offer solutions. Something which doesn't work even in big AAA companies sometimes. This is btw. one of the key tasks of a producer.

Having experts in your team is one of the key goals. Projects don't succeeds without proficient leading in programming, art, level design, game design and so on. Someone must take the head and make decisions. However, decisions have for sure to be communicated and planned with the rest of the team. In my current job, we have product owners, people which are responsible for a single feature area of the game. They have their teams, do planning and their own team meetings. In the project wide communication, they're responsible for keeping the other POs up to date, schedule the workload for their team and manage the feature in order to reach the overal goal

GeneralJist said:
Everyone here are volunteers, but this has never happened to me before

This happened to me more than I liked, from both sides. I can remember of a single indie company which has had several of those issues. People didn't communicate, features were planned and implemented which haven't been communicated, programmer caused code to break because they simply deleted code lines or entire files from the repository and in the end the company owner talked gossip about employees that have left the company while those have left for a reason, missing payments and no willing to give them a contract.

We were developing a medival city building game, I have been lead programmer there and co-game designer because I sold them a game design I made. Everything was ok, we had a publisher for it and were working on a prototype. At some point before the first milestone, the company owner hired a writer and set focus onto telling a story rather than having the core features implemented first. So everyone, game design, level design and programming was told to set focus on supporting the writer to put in “his” story. Long story short, we missed 2 milestones and our publisher canceled the contract. I left the company for not being payed anymore while the rest of the team worked for another year FOR FREE to get something shipped to steam which was miles away from the original game design. And you can guess, he also gossiped about me to maroon the team

Finding employees is easy. Finding reliable employees is hard. Finding volunteers is also hard. Finding reliable volunteers is bordering on impossible. Never, ever assume that the people working with you are going to stick around for the completion of the project, especially if you're not paying them.

Motivation is contagious and if the head of the studio isn't super enthusiastic about their own project, then it may affect all the people involved in the project. If an artist is unmotivated, the quality of the art will likely not be great, and unmotivated programmer will likely not deliver optimal codes. Maybe take a bit more time to find a project you're really enthusiastic about and then try to reach to those volunteers (or new ones) and see if they may be interested, is my uneducated suggestion.

None

Thank you for sharing that experience with us!

In my opinion, a 10 people team is big for small indies like myself, I usually go for 1+1 teams art+code and I commission sounds but then again my game scopes were not AA or AAA.

I had some attempts of going 10+ team but they all ended up with just half of the team actually working, I think that for a big team of people to work you must go a bit corporate mindset and have solid work contracts and a work office but that`s just me.

@GeneralJist Motivation is definitely key. All of the best codebases out there in open-source land are written by coders who love what they do and look forward to seeing their labor bear fruit, even if they’re not getting paid for it.

You want an artist who is captivated by the thought of seeing his or her art on the screen, animating, in the game. Unfortunatel, finding someone like that is easier said than done. I hand-rolled by own Swiss army knife of 2D engines but struggled to find an artist who had that spark. They’re out there, though.

You don’t need 10 people mate, just 4 or 5 people who have a clear understanding of what is expected of them. If this understanding is reached by all, the need for meetings is nearly eliminated. Whiteboarding is a good way to help people understand the direction they need to be moving in.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement