video game developement

Started by
5 comments, last by PatrickHahn 2 years, 5 months ago

I recently started developing my own 2d pixel game a took inspiration from games such as terraria and barotrauma its meant to be story line/open world game with thousands of items and side quests the problem is i tried programing on godot and it didn't work well, so the question is: what engine should i use(game is meant to be really high quality pixel art) please dm me on discord if you can help somehow

Aimbot.js#0528

Advertisement

its my first time never made a game before

yes but what engine should i use

thegamedev1986 said:

yes but what engine should i use

Start here: https://www.gamedev.net/start/

If you've never written code, maybe you should start with GameMaker.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Unfortunately, comparing the alternatives similar to Godot, Godot has the best pixel art support from all along it's competitors. Unity, Unreal, CryEngine/Lumberyard to name some are more related to 3D while Gotod can be 2D pixel perfect

If Godot didn't work, try Construct, GameMaker, or Unity. As a new developer my self, I learned it is more about what you feel comfortable with than what the engine can do.

Personally I like Unity. Comparing it's RaycastHit2D to Godot's Move and Collide shows just how different they are.

Unity provides an array giving all collisions and allowing the user to solve them as they want. Godot only gives the first collision, making it simpler but causing jittering when multiple collisions happen.

Personally I like Unity over Godot because it feels more professional.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement